Author Topic: easy braided "inlay" handle  (Read 6723 times)

Offline Postman

easy braided "inlay" handle
« on: September 25, 2011, 04:08:04 pm »
Wanted a wrapped handle that would be almost flush on the sides, but stick out a bit on the front/back.Started with some braided leather cord.  Got 3 yards for 5 bucks at a chain craft store, easily enough for 2 handles. Used a hacksaw, large chainsaw file and 3 rivers file/rasp combo.
Used the hacksaw as a guide cut for the round file. This is very unnerving to do! ;D
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:21:37 pm by Postman »
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Postman

Re: easy braided "inlay" handle
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 04:10:59 pm »
Then used the chainsaw file to cut 4 "chalnnels " in the handle and joined them with the rasp and file. Nicked up the rest of the bow and skins a bit - be careful! The flat edge on the 3rivers combo tool worked welll as a guide in the round channel ends, though

Offline Postman

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 04:19:02 pm »
Wrapped tightly and glued with super glue. Trimmed ends at an angle to make them easier to tuck under with a knife. Have to clean up some sloppy spots and nicks I made, but hope to finish and post this bow soon.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 04:57:03 pm »
That looks really cool, but I doubt I have the guts to try it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 01:33:19 pm »
That looks really cool, but I doubt I have the guts to try it!

I came back to this post a few times and ive been really wondering why you said that.......
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 09:41:18 pm »
The one thing that scared the be-jeepers outa me on my first bow was the handle.  I understood enough that if I took off too much material, THAT's where it would fail. 

This design requires me to take a handle that already worries me and cut even deeper into it!  Honestly....that is probably the ONLY place I have never had a bow fail.  Maybe I need to put on my big boy Pull-Ups and just do one, huh? 

Postman's how-to leaves nothing to the imagination, it's pretty darn clear-cut.  Wonderfully concise and educational, Postman.  Sorry I didn't make that clear in my first post. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 10:10:23 pm »
Looks great! Can't wait to try it. First ill have to fine the braid.
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250