Author Topic: what should i keep in my truck?  (Read 10023 times)

Offline cracker

Re: what should i keep in my truck?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 08:08:57 pm »
Hey Justin is that the same as a high lift jack? I keep one of those on board all the time too.Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 11:20:21 pm »
 I have one, too. They called them Sheepherder jacks when I lived in Co.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cracker

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 09:40:26 am »
Most folks around here called them man killer jacks.Ron

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 10:56:51 am »
Same Jack.... I bolt the handle in mine so it cannot go flying out. 

They actually sell them as a high lift jack, but I grew up calling them handyman jacks. I like the name better because we used them for so many things beside lifting. They are awesome wire stretchers and fence post pullers. Throw in a chain and they make a great come along for pulling your truck out of a ditch.  :o
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cracker

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 11:26:00 am »
You're right about that Justin you can use them to jack, spread, winch clamp I've bent my tie rod and beat it straight with a hammer and slide the jack hammer over it to reinforce it till I can get to a parts store. And for the price you cant beat it. Ron

Offline Stoker

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 08:43:49 pm »
In canada we call'em jackall's handy and strong.WD-40 is always behind the seat ain't nothing weasel pi$$ won't fix.
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 01:10:26 am »
If you load everything mentioned in that little truck you won't have room for that pretty girl!
 I try to keep at least 2 guns and a few boxes of ammo for each with me at all times. A tire plug kit and a 12 volt compressor have gotten me home several times.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 07:42:05 pm »
Saw Filer. I thought that was the point of the matter.  Keep the truck full no girl that way the father won"t be chasing him down. >:D >:D >:D  ;)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2011, 08:14:46 pm »
Saw Filers right about the patch kit.  I have one in all my vehicals.  Can't always count on the spare having air.  I don't have the compressor, but I do carry a bike pump.  :o Maybe you should go w/ a compressor.  ; ;) ;D
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Grunt

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2011, 10:56:25 am »
A four way spanner for changing tires, first aid kit, road flares, log chain, down parka in a stuff sac, rain shell, multi tool, shake up flashlight, gloves, power bars, trail mix, sheath kinfe, drum liner bags, shovel, bucket, water bottle, extra socks, coverhalls, machete, backpac, fire starting kit, and in the winter a chain saw. The roads close up fast in a storm here in the NC mountains. Most of the stuff is packed in a grab and go kit in the bucket. Always carry a weapon.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2011, 03:31:29 am »

What the others said, plus a couple qts of oil.  Definetly the toilet paper.  If you can find it, get some Rescue Tape, there are other names for it also.  It is a silicone rubber type material, that only sticks to itself.  You can use on radiators, gas lines, electrical connections,  etc.  If you get oil on it, just turn it over, and use the other side.  There are no adhesives on it.  If you need an O ring, just wrap it around an appropriate size dowel, etc. and then roll it off, and you have an O ring!  Really amazing stuff.  Harbor Freight used to carry it but now they have something else that is a cheap copy of it, and isn't any good. Also, if you have a Harbor Freight near you..... The Man's Store.... ;) ;)  Look for the sales, and you can get a 2000 lb. pull winch, with fair leads, and remote cables, for $49.00 on sale, and a little more not on sale.  I keep one in my truck, plus a tow strap, and a tow cable.  Definitely extra ammo, and a couple boxes of .22's.  I keep a couple of tire plug kits, plus a little air pump, in a bag.  A little box, wood, metal, Tupperware etc. to store the stuff in.  It is real comforting to know you have those things when you are 20 miles from the nearest highway, let alone any town or gas station or parts place. ;)  Something to add to your first aid kit, is a roll or two of co-ban, elastic bandage.  You can get it much cheaper by going to a feed store and getting a couple rolls of leg wrap.  It is the same thing, only it comes in colors, and is about three times wider than a normal roll of co-ban, and is cheaper than co-ban!  You can cut it to the width you need!  A single roll of co-ban costs about $4.00, but a roll of leg wrap is about $2.90 or so. It is great for splints, wound wrapping, wrapping feet for blister protection from ill fitting boots etc.  Some rain gear, extra socks, boots, or shoes.  You get stuck, broke down, it is nice to have a change of clothes, oh a bar of soap, and a little or bigger bottle of hand sanitizer. Good for starting fires too.  Just don't have any on your hands when you try to light a fire.  A little pack of bick style lighters are always handy to have along. A small, qt, to qt and a half sized metal pot to cook in, and or boil water.  Chop sticks, knife, fork, spoon. Those little bottles of your favorite seasonings. Salt, pepper, Mikey D's and Booger King have those little salt and pepper packets, and ketchup, mustard packs..... Free!  ;)  Yellow mustard is a great home remedy for painful gas!  A spoonful, and the gas pain is IMMEDIATELY gone! A small shovel is mandatory! The handy man jack or whatever you prefer to call it is great.  It can be use as a winch, or come along also.  I have the one my Dad bought when I was a little boy.  Yeah, you had to be careful of flying handles.  Bolting them in was always a good idea. They pretty much have you covered, Anyway, enjoy your truck!  Oh, yeah, a portable Holiday Inn (sleeping Bag, maybe a self inflating air mattress)  I have those in my truck.  People ask me why I carry all that stuff, in the back of my truck.  I ask them ever break down, or get stuck in the middle of no where, and no phone service?  I put a lot of miles on my truck.  I know that if I have a problem, I am able to last for awhile, and fairly comfortably.  Oh, a good little hand held GPSS, or a car mounted one.  If you have an emergency, and need help, and have phone service, you can give your GPSS co-ordinances to help in locating you, and extra batteries. ;)

Wayne

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2011, 04:09:29 am »
 I'm always in the mud,daily 4WHEEL DRIVES A MUST,  SHOVEL, MANUAL AIR PUMP COMALONG 100 feet of cable even when I have whinch, and I do. 2 SPARES, COUPLE FITAFLATS has helped me a few times. I also have a pair of fold out cleated. Go's under the wheels on ice things thats where the cleats come in. I don't know what there called. i'VE HAD HAVE THEM FOR 30 YEARS they've got me unstuck in the snow dozzens of times. everyone SHOULD HAVE A PAIR EXSPECIALLY A WOMAM. I have went as far as haveing 100 pounds of gravel over each wheel whell. Not just for the weight.
  COUPLE GALLONS of water for drinking as well as for the truck.  LONG JUMPER CABLES, TOOLS, EXTURE CLOSE,SUNGLASS'S. A pay cell phone with lots of minites and charge you can keep in the dash. I'm a full time hunter 12 months a year. Alot of time going  and comeing muds uselly involved.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2011, 06:12:21 am »
After you get all this in the truck,,go buy you a trailor to haul things in!!!    :o
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2011, 03:22:06 pm »
Take care of that truck and it will last a LONG time.  My best friend has an s-10 with the 4 banger and 5 speed with over 360K miles on it.  We are hoping it will make a half million before the engine retires.  Then after that hes putting in a 350.