Author Topic: Brace height Question.  (Read 2176 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Brace height Question.
« on: October 01, 2011, 02:39:50 pm »
A buddy gave me a PSE Talon, 50#, 62" takedown when he moved out of state.  I've been shooting it and it shoots ok for what I want to use it for...shooting.  ;D  Anyway, I got stuck in the rain w/ it the other day and took it apart to dry it.  When I got it back together, I decided to check the brace height and it was like 6 3/4".  That's to low I thought, so I tightened it up several twists and now it's 7 1/4".  Just about a 1/4" of string groove showing.  This is how I was taught to check brace height, by getting it to just show the string grooves.  I got on the intranet (dial-up) and saw on tradg that a guy posted proper brace height was 8-9", 8.5" good.  That seems pretty high to me.  I couldn't find it on the PSE web site, and I got tired of waiting around for my comp to load.  I know this is a long post and a crappy glass bow, but...I hope someone can give me some advice.

Thanks, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Brace height Question.
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 08:40:50 pm »
That sounds right to me. Most glass bows from the 50's need a brace height around 71/2". Try it an see how it shoots and how much noise it makes. A lot of the guys on Tradgang know their stuff.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 10:15:04 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 11:29:36 pm »
Eddie's right, use bow noise as your deciding factor.  I start with too low a brace height and then twist the string up until it gets quiet (when the string stops slapping the limbs).  Then I add a couple twists and call it good.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 04:16:16 am »
 I also used the noise when I shot recurves.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING