Author Topic: knife question  (Read 1355 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
knife question
« on: October 03, 2011, 10:33:25 pm »
I have an obsidian knife set in an antler handle. Would this have been a ceremonial piece, a daily knife, or not even a knife that would have been made?  Was obsidian only used in the North West or would it have been traded over much larger distances.  Any info appreciated. Thanks!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: knife question
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 01:06:33 am »
A friend found an obsidian blade about 2 miles from Hilton Head Is. SC. No volcanos around there that I know of.  :-\
 Jeff, is your knife an artifact? Got pics?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:30:17 am »
Pat- I will get a picture of it. It is not an artifact, just a knife I got in a trade a while back. A buddy asked me if it would have been historically accurate and I wasn't sure...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:41:11 pm »
Mi Chuk from Yosemite! Raining here this am and snow predicted to 6000 feet!
Hafted knives seem to be a thing after European contact. Some earlier knives from california are just pieces of board with different types of blades in them, even bottle glass.  There is Obsidian in Yellowstone that could easily have made it down river in trade.
Only thing hafted before that are atlatl darts, arrows and a "sickle/saw" used for cutting vegetation.
I will see what else I can find for you.
ka la bi (see you next time)