Author Topic: Osage Holmegård (fulldraw p.2)  (Read 21854 times)

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
Re: Osage Holmegård
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 11:12:10 am »
I know there has been some confusion about the way some stone age bows were drawn. I haven't found solid evidence of either, but my own feeling is that they too must have seen the huge strength and security in having a single growthring on the back of an elm bow.

But if there is some arguments for backward bows, I'm really really interested in hearing about it.

It would be super if you found the magazine, but dont spend too much time looking :)

I wouldn't call it a Holmegård replica - it's way too yellow for that, and of course I haven't used measurements from an original artefact, but I assume the Ertebølle-people would recognize it as a "normal bow", hehe ;)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 11:18:55 am by kviljo »

Offline OldBow

• I'm just an old retired biology teacher.
Re: Osage Holmegård (fulldraw p.2)
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2007, 11:22:04 am »
Glad to see that osage as premium as this one is was made into a bow by a bowyer with real skills that you obviously have. Got you bookmarked for July Self Bow of the Month, too.
When you're retired, every day is Saturday

DCM

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2007, 07:27:09 pm »
Kviljo,

I looked and did not find the PA issue w/ the Holmegaard article.  I may have giving it away, as I found issues back to 2001, but I know I subscribed before that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 07:48:45 pm »
David, Was that the article by Hillary Green(something). The only female in the MRT.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DCM

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 08:25:48 pm »
Yes Pat, I believe so.  I know it was a lady, and Hillary sounds familiar.  I want to say it was a cherry bow perhaps.  Interesting article.  I recall a good tiller profile picture.  Wish I could find it.  I think it was posted online at one time.

SimonUK

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2007, 08:40:27 pm »
The article might have been by Hilary Greenland, the author of 'The Traditional Archers Handbook'. I remember reading her PA article about her holmegard online. But I can't find it at the moment.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2007, 10:18:21 am »
Well, I found it. ;D  July 2000, Volume 8, issue 3. "A Bowmaker's Tribute To The ENGLISH ELM. By Hillary Greenland.     Pat

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2007, 01:39:36 pm »
Great! I'll have to order that one :)

DCM

« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2007, 06:21:17 pm »
Duh.  I've always been interested in elm bows.

SimonUK

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2007, 07:33:50 pm »
This lady runs the Society for the Promotion of Traditional Archery in the UK (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the link). Anyway, she's the British equivalent of you guys.

Offline Loki

« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2007, 07:53:08 pm »
There's a link to this site on her site.
Durham,England

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2007, 12:40:44 am »
Thanks Simon. ;) That will be easy enough to google. Besides advertisers, other sites are not allowed to be posted. A little inconvenient sometimes but thats the rules.  ;D      Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2007, 02:09:43 am »
Kviljo, I just saw the full draw pictures.  The bow looks great.  I am particularly fond of the holmegard style.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Kviljo

« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2007, 05:59:35 pm »

I shot it for distance this evening. With the second arrow from the bottom, it reached 265 meters, with help from a light breeze. And with the longest arrow, it did just over 200 meters. I'm happy ;D

SimonUK

« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2007, 08:13:27 pm »
Great performance  :) it's true what they say about holmegards then. How heavy is the longest arrow?