Author Topic: My new musical adventure  (Read 1788 times)

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
My new musical adventure
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:21:01 pm »
The band iv been playn for the las few years has been needing a drummer and the churches Roland TD-10 has been just sitting there so I decided to jump off guitar and bass and play drums :) so I drummed for about a month and it seems to grow on me. The other guitars had a friend that had a Ludwig 5 piece for 250$ so I go look at it and it had a decent PDP double bass peddle so I scrap junk for 2 days and I have the money to buy it and a new set of Remo black suede emperors for the toms its just a beginner set and I love it all the shells are perfect no worping the Bering edges are great it's crash was a little iffy so I hit the pawn shop and found a mid 70s zilgjian avidas crash ride with a boom stand for 30$ man talk about a lucky start the preceding owner was a metal fan and had a quilt stuffed in the bass it sounded ok but there was no air flow so I looked online and saw only a few options on muffling this stock batter head and I liked the WP muffling pillow but the were pricy so I looked at it then looked at my wife and sed you can make this she looked and sed yes :) for half the  price of one pillow I had mats to make 4 woot so she made me a small one for now and I'm experimenting with it so far it works great I have a good bass sound with some resonance if I want full mute she can make a bigger one to touch both resonance  and batter heads  well ttyl

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 12:25:21 pm by skyarrow »
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995

Offline johnston

Re: My new musical adventure
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 01:32:40 pm »
Absolutely cool. Can't make music without drums.
I sing in a big choral group and at some shows (depending on the music) we add a percussionist with usually just a snare. Unbelievable the difference it makes.

Truly impressed that you could just take it up and start playing. Any gigs yet ?

Lane

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 02:07:55 pm »
I play every Sunday at church and the high school asked me to play once a month for a school concert they do :). And sometimes I fill in for a rock cover band

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 04:53:54 pm »
Drums are for sissys, real men play guitfiddles......................
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 05:02:05 pm »
Cut an 6" port in the front of your kick head if you really want good tone from it. Kick drums gotta breath to work.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 06:00:49 pm »
Iv been thinking of a port hole just don't know what way to do it I seen a guy heat up a bean can and cut a hole that way I'm not sure if I want to do that I mite just order a new reso head with the hole in it  unless there is a fool proof way of doing it I really don't want to mess my reso  head up

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 10:57:58 am »
Its simple to do. Take a standard size tin coffee can and peel off all labels. Sit it on your stover burner and get it quite hot, you will know when enough is enough. Quickly place it right where you want the hole and lightly twist it with a pot holder. It will cut a nice hole and seer the edges so they wont tear. Good kick heads are 50-60 bucks. I suggest using what you have unless it wont tune anymore. If you ever plan on mic'ing your kick up the right way you will need that hole anyhow.

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 01:08:23 pm »
Cool thanx for the info

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:29:17 pm »
My pleasure. I have been playing drums for a looooong time. Feel free to pick my brain on anything related to playing, tuning, or mic'ing drum kits. I will answer what I can. Have fun!

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 03:09:52 pm »
Cool thanx :) my drop clutch came in yesterday il post a vid of it it's a billdidit coady clutch I need new hi hats but that's a easy fix with the rite money lol

Offline skyarrow

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 03:22:09 pm »
Here is my drop clutch I'm still fine tuning this set but it don't sound bad once I get new hi hats itl have a better sound these cheap hats have a wash sound when the clutch drops lol Ohh well. I'm really impressed with the strength of the magnets it uses if you hit  it hard it won't release but you can make it release by pounding it I can really pound the top hat but I'm not a hard drummer so I know itl work great for me 
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee451/bloodmoonwidow/f231bb79.mp4