Author Topic: Pens for signing bows?  (Read 7420 times)

mikekeswick

Pens for signing bows?
« on: October 23, 2011, 05:29:33 pm »
Hi guys, i'm just wondering what type of pens, paint markers etc you use to sign your bows and what finishes they work with.
I've tried using every type of permanent marker I can find! Most are either too thick a line, get 'dissolved' when used with finishes like danish oil, varnishes etc...I've also tried those paint pens you can get, they look pretty good but again limit you to the finish you can use over them.
I've also got a pyrography pen which works pretty well...maybe i'm just rubbish at using it but it doesn't look great?
I'm looking for something that will give a fine line and stand upto solvent based finishes.
Any help gratefully received!

Offline Gordon

Re: Pens for signing bows?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:20 pm »
Lately I've been using a Sharpie Industrial with good results.
Gordon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 05:53:21 pm »
What finish are you putting over your Sharpie, Gordon?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 06:51:55 pm »
I use a fine point sharpie paint pen with tru-oil or spar urethane over it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gordon

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 07:21:28 pm »
JW, I've been putting Tru-Oil over the Sharpie.
Gordon

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 07:22:18 pm »
Excellent, I love Tru-oil.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 08:46:38 pm »
Try this: sand your bow in the area to be signed with 400 to 800 grit sandpaper then burnish well. Apply 10 to 15 coats of tru or tung oil to that area,(you should really do this to the entire bow.) The object is to build up a smooth  layer of oil that resembles a piece of glass. Now take a sharp needle and etch your design into it, kind of like scrimshaw. Now rub india ink or a black prismacolor pencil over the area, wipe away the excess with a clean cloth and bingity bangity boom, ya got yaself a purty stick! You ca get quite detailed with this methed . The secret is  mirror finish.Try it.

Cody W.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 08:54:29 pm »
I use India ink and a quill pen.  I put a few coats of Tru-Oil on the bow as normal. Where I'm writing, I spray with satin poly and let it dry then write with the India Ink. After it dries I add the rest of the Tru-Oil finish.   Although I usually only use black, India ink comes in many colors. It doesn't fade with exposure to sunlight either.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dmc

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 02:22:48 am »
I've had some good luck writing on mine with an acid free ink pen that my wife bought from one of those scrap booking places. I did leave it over night before I put a finish on it though.
Good luck with your quest for one.
Dave
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 05:06:58 am »
Many thanks for all the ideas guys. I'll try them all!
Misslemaster - now thats an interesting idea....watch this space

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 08:45:25 am »
Quill pen and Testers paint. I like having a bunch of colors to use. Two coats of finish, sign the bow and two more coats to seal.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2011, 10:19:42 am »
I use the same pen and do like Gordon with the tru oil,I just don't rub the first coat very hard,just a light coat rubbed lightly works fine. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2011, 10:58:22 am »
I use a 'STAEDTLER permanent' marker (F), applied when all the finishing is done then I 'seal it'  but the trick is a waterbased (acrylic) varnish dabbed rather than wiped over it.
I've tried various combination of pen/finish but that's the only one that's worked.
maybe the alternative is acrylic paint, as that won't disolve, but it's not very convenient to apply.
Del
(The fact that we have those pens in stationary supplies at work is purely coincidental O:))
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 11:37:42 am »
Lately I've been using a Pilot G-2 07 fine point gel ink pen. I usually seal the bow with a coat or two of shellac or wiping varnish (or both), then sign it. After letting the gel ink cure for 24 hours, I then can wipe my shellac or varnish over it without it running or smearing. The gel pen seems to work a lot better than the sharpies I've tried, and the ink turns out much darker then the sharpies as well.

Offline Postman

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 01:44:23 pm »
I recently sanded a bit, used a fine point sharpie, and finished the whole bow (osage) with several coats of spray -on satin poly. Hunted hard several  in the rain / humidity right after shoot in with no ill effects.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA