Author Topic: Pens for signing bows?  (Read 7471 times)

Offline adb

Re: Pens for signing bows?
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2011, 05:09:44 pm »
I use an extra fine tipped sharpie marker on top of whatever finish I'm using, then spray a bit of matte finish over that. Seems to last pretty good. It will start to fade after about a year.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2011, 12:26:06 am »
  I put a few coats of Tru-Oil on the bow as normal. Where I'm writing, I spray with satin poly and let it dry then write with the India Ink. After it dries I add the rest of the Tru-Oil finish.   

I tried that recently on a really fine mulberry flatbow.  Two coats of Tru-Oil, signed with a pigmented ink that cannot fade.  I gave it a light going over with 0000 steel wool and then 6 coats of spray on satin finish poly-you're-insane.  Looked pretty darn good so I thought.  So did the guy in Noatak, Alaska when it arrived.  He loved it until he got down to the lower 48 and was shooting it in a higher humidity climate!  The finish turned hazy, started to blister and peeled up in chips.  Something was incompatible between those two finishes.

I've promised to fix it for him and this time it's nothing but a dozen handrubbed coats of Tru-oil and a final buff with ultrafine steel wool to dull the finish.  Pity I can't find a pen that Tru-Oil doesn't wipe off!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bohunter0908

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2011, 02:00:59 am »
Howdy y'all
just wondering cuz I'm interested
In finding a good method myself
What about using a wood burner
With a fine tip it shouldn't do any damage
And will hold up to any finish
 -Bo-
Laporte TEXAS
Take a kid hunting today and you won't
Have to hunt for the kid tomorrow

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2011, 05:39:52 am »
Bohunter - i've also tried that but it's devilishly hard to make it look really classy with a pyrograhy pen...my attempts have been ok....but only ok :-\
I've got a few different sharpie pens ordered up now and some tru-oil. My dad has got some indian ink in loads of different colours.
Thanks for all the ideas guys! Much appreciated!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 03:03:44 pm »
I had trouble with sharpies fading after a few years,so I went to a small size calligraphy pen with india ink.It stays bright even after several years.For dark bows I use the white india ink to letter. JMHO God BLess
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Bohunter0908

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 11:10:10 pm »
I used a pen at work
made by steadtler call
A lable master or lable maker
I can't rember wich but it
writes on wvwrything metal fiberglass
All kinds of surfaces
-Bo-
Laporte TEXAS