Author Topic: Pete's new hobby  (Read 5826 times)

Stringman

Pete's new hobby
« on: October 24, 2011, 05:20:31 pm »
I met this guy about 2 years ago and recently he found out my secret addiction. He is involved with the boy scouts and I have spoken to him many times in regard to scoutting. One day I was showing some of my work to a guy who wanted me to make a set for him and Pete walks up. He starts lookin at the bows and said "classes?!?" I said "sure" and so we set a time.

He came over this last Saturday evening and we spent the next five hours getting the basics of wood selection and ring chasing down. After some draw knife and hatchet work we set to straightening a crook in the upper limb. He was fascinated and thrilled to be seeing the baby take shape. While we were sitting there waiting for the wood to cool He says, "how hard is it to make a string for this bow?" And so we made a string. Once again his mouth dropped. "I can't believe that was so easy," he said. (I do believe we got him hooked!) Then we talked about arrows and tools to buy and a cabin to have a workshop in. Seriously, you could se the wheels turnin! By the time the night was over (all too quickly!) he had a stave to take home and look at till the next class and a piece of paper in hand listing what tools to keep an eye out for. i think I might have just made a friend, but maybe I'm reading into it...

Hope we can find time in the next week or so to get back on this. I'm totally psyched to get this finished up for him and get it to shooting. I told him about PA and hopefully he will get signed up and leave his own comments soon.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Pete's new hobby
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 07:55:49 pm »
Good to know we have another victim ... errr I mean recruit.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:07:13 pm »
Dang nice stick to start your first bow out with. It doesnt hurt to have a bow brain working along side ya either! I have yet to get anybody over to my shop, all the begging in the world hasnt paid off. Maybe that should tell me something? Hmmmm?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 08:50:30 pm »
SWEEET! Good job catching another...  ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 09:59:03 pm »
Way to go! :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 10:14:48 pm »
I like YELLOW!!!! ;)   

And I can see he does too!!!!!!!! 8)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:29:07 pm »
Yep, he's hooked, even if he doesn't know it yet >:D
I'm teaching 2 guys right now. One is working on his 3rd bow (all red oak board bows). I keep telling him we need to take pictures so I can post them up. The other guy just started but seems very interested. He has some trees on his property that may be suitable for bows, so once we make a few board bows we may have to move on to bows from staves ;)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 01:07:38 am »
This is almost  becoming an undeground cult.  Soon we will be proselytizing in airports, but instead of yellow robes and shaved heads, we will be carrying yeller wood sawdust stains on our jeans and band-aids from flint chip wounds!

If we all bear down and "each one teach one", won't be long before one of us is in the White House.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 02:14:46 am »
... I have yet to get anybody over to my shop, all the begging in the world hasnt paid off. Maybe that should tell me something? Hmmmm?

Don't give up PD, I probably asked 100 people to come make a bow before the first one did.  The cool thing for me is when I see people I've taught teaching other folks. :)

Way to go Stingman!  The more the merrier.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 02:44:09 am »
good stuff right there.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 07:13:51 am »
Way to go,that a way to pass it on. :) Careful what you wish for Pearl Drums,you could get so many you don't have time to get your hunting stuff made up. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dazv

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 07:56:14 am »
great job i cant wait to see his bow all finished up.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 10:08:48 am »
I say we run Pappy for president now !
We can do this !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline fenciii

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 01:35:44 pm »
Hey All! This is Pete. Just logged in for the first time last night! Looking forward to finishing my first bow!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 01:48:31 pm »
Welcome Pete! Keep the pictures coming on your bow.

George
St Paul, TX