Author Topic: Greenland Kayak Progress  (Read 4787 times)

Offline Alpinbogen

Greenland Kayak Progress
« on: November 19, 2011, 08:02:48 pm »
I started my 2nd skin-on-frame Greenland kayak a couple of months ago.  Progress was largely interupted by archery season.  I got back on it today, fitting stem plates and test fitting / tweaking a template for the knee brace, or masik.  This one is VERY snug and very low volume.  I'm building it specifically for rolling and play, so I'll probably stick with my other one (wider / fuller) for most fishing and hunting.  I'm hoping to have it completed to try out before everything freezes, but that will be a challenge. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Greenland Kayak Progress
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 08:05:18 pm »
Very Cool!!!   What do you skin them with?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 08:06:27 pm »
Looks good!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 09:33:08 pm »
Very, very nice! David Tiller built one last year also. Cool project.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 10:08:04 pm »
Very cool.  They are real lookers.  I built one out of plywood a few years back and it still gets oohs and ahhhs.  Are you canvasing it?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 11:25:41 pm »
Thanks.  These are/will be skinned in ballistic nylon cloth, and coated with a urethane sealer.  I used 12 oz. cloth on the first one.  That has survived a heavy spring and summer's worth (once-twice/week) of rock hits, gravel bars, and a few full speed skids onto razor sharp oyster beds with just minor finish scratches.  Nothing has made it to the actual cloth.  I'll use 8 oz. cloth on the current one.  I tinted the finish brown on the first one, but will leave this one clear/translucent.  It's 17' 9" long, with a 20" beam.  I expect it will finish out in the mid-high 30# mark.  Here's me playing around in my first one a few months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFjZf7J2oyI

MWirwicki, I've never done a stitch & glue build.  So far, I've never seen another SOF, stitch & glue, or strip build on the water.  (Kind of like selfbows at an archery shoot.)  Almost all of the kayaks I see are poly, with a few nicer fiberglass boats.  Toss up a picture.  I'm sure your boat is gorgeous.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 11:30:06 pm by Alpinbogen »

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2011, 09:49:58 am »
Those are really nice! Looks like a lot of fun to use as well.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2011, 10:11:10 am »
Wow!  Super impressive.  Would those type of Kayaks have any kind of artwork/decoration?

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2011, 08:32:42 pm »
Nice work!  Thanks for sharing the pics and video.  To someone not very familiar with kayaking (me), those maneuvers you were doing seem to defy physics.  The rolls I can see, but laying sideways (bracing??) does not compute :)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 11:02:38 pm »
That's awesome!!! I've been wanting to make a kayak for a long time. I would love some more info on that cloth.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2011, 12:15:30 am »
absolutely gorgeous!!! Plus I envy your rolling skills, especially since everytime I try to do one I end up almost drowning myself...  >:D >:D >:D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2011, 12:34:27 am »
I have been planning a project like that with my son. Did you buy the plan?
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2011, 08:28:08 pm »
The ballistic nylon skin is used for bulletproof vests.  It's also the most common covering for skinboats, and boatbuilding stores carry it online. 

I learned to roll on my own this summer, practicing in a neighbor's pool, in a river, and in saltwater.  Lots of wet exits later, I can manage basic sculling and layback rolls.   Pretty rough, but I'm getting there.  ;D     

I made these from online resources and from a book called, "Building the Greenland Kayak".  There are no plans, per se.  The book presents a sequence of traditional construction methods.  Everything is custom fit to your own dimensions and what you want out of a kayak.  Very little actual "measuring" is involved.  Mostly, every piece is "fitted".  It's not unlike reading, "Hunting the Osage Bow", and tillering a bow.

Offline Kpete

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 09:43:56 pm »
quite a project.  Impressive.  keep the side with the hole in it above water!

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 09:19:28 am »
There is a place called Spirainternational  that offers free kyak plans,,thats where I bought plans for my new boat im workin on. Very good boat site
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does