Author Topic: Low poundage selfbows?  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Bentstick81

Low poundage selfbows?
« on: November 24, 2011, 01:03:36 am »
 I was wondering if selfbows in the low 40#'s is enough for deer at 17 Yards, my limit.  The limit in my state is 40#. I have a couple nice shooting selfbows made up, but by the time i got them tillered, they are around the 42# range. Does anyone hunt with lighter poundage selfbows?

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Low poundage selfbows?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 01:11:03 am »
Short answer: yes.

Try to match your arrows to the bow, too.  About 10 grains of arrow weight for every Lb. of draw weight (42 lb draw = 420 grain arrows).  Then, get your broadheads so sharp you have nightmares of them slicing you up like a ripe tomato.  Lastly, shoot those broadhead mounted arrows into hay bales or other appropriate targets to make sure they still fly good and straight. 

If you can keep all your arrows in a 6" paperplate at your chosen range there is no reason you should not be able to humanely take a deer.  And when it comes to practicing...remember, it's only the first arrow you shoot that really counts.  Deer rarely let you fire a couple practice shots. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:35:50 am »
Read Ranger B's post "Artimus" in the Bows section.That will answer your question.

But like JW said have everything perfect and make your broadheads scarry sharp!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dazv

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:28:10 am »
check out what pat said ranger b just made a nice long comment for me about hunting with light bows.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 09:45:05 pm »
I hurt my shoulder last year and had to make a fourty pound bow in the middle of hunting season. I shot a small buck and the arrow sank to the feathers and later on I shot completely through a doe

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 10:02:40 am »
 YES if you keep it to 17 yards, no problem.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline coaster500

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:33:30 pm »
Just curious, 17 yards?

Is that your practice distance?
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:16:00 am »
Sharp broad heads! Had plenty pass throughs with mid 40's for poundage. Good luck!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 12:24:14 pm »
One thing not mentioned is 42# at what draw length? 42# at a 23- 24" draw length is on the weak side, 42# at a 29" draw length will shoot through just about any deer. Every inch of draw length you add over 28" is like adding 5# of draw weight to an arrows performance. There is an equal deduction for shorter draw lengths.

I have partially disabled friend who shoots a 32# bow but draws it to 30-31".  With this long power stroke he gets 168fps with a 400gr arrow out of his low poundage bow.

Offline nlester

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 05:16:54 pm »
This is an old thread that has been revived.  Adding to this, what about low poundage bows with stone points?  Or is there any different??  I had my 1st selfbow kill with an Osage bow that was around 42lbs.  Was wondering how it would handle stone.  Hope someone can help me out here.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 01:23:06 am »
If it's good enough to penetrate with steel points, properly made and hafted stone will work as well.  Josh