Author Topic: opinions on fix for a problem  (Read 1628 times)

Offline mspink

opinions on fix for a problem
« on: November 26, 2011, 01:15:43 am »
Hey guys, just finished a self bow. 55 lbs @ 28". I was done shooting the bow for about 30 minutes and was pulling it back over and over just to make sure it was ready to finish when I heard the faintest little tick. I examined the bow to find a small crack on the shoulder of the back towards the tip end of the bow, Pretty much where it fades to the small diameter tip. The reason why is because a ring starts running out about that point. I glued the tiny crack, that you could only see if the bow was braced, and wrapped it up super tight with 50 lb line, then I backed the entire bow with some linen that i just picked up. Will this take care of the problem or should I worry about more in the future with this bow. Every where else on the bow is one ring out to the edge except here where this ring runs off. Pics added. Any thoughts appreciated. Also should I trade it to my friend like I was planning? Thanks.
Aim small miss small!

Offline Dvshunter

Re: opinions on fix for a problem
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 04:06:28 am »
It's hard to say without seeing the crack before you covered it. Having said that, I wouldn't give it to anyone. Thants just me though. But i think you were already thinking that and that is why you asked. Good luck.
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 09:36:12 am »
It almost looks like your limb section is thicker r equal to your fades, that could be a problem. Gotta have a "ramp" at your fades to stop the bending into your handle. Im just speculating with the pics you posted though.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline johnston

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 11:08:00 am »
What kind of wood?

Lane

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 12:26:52 pm »
That should hold that spot well. I would have put the backing down first then the wrap but the order doesn't really matter.
  Like Perlie I don't get how that areaas worked. Was it an abrupt change there. If so that is why it lifted a psplinter. Also well rounded edges are less apt to lift a splinter than sharper ones.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline mspink

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 02:20:03 pm »
that spot where the wrapping is where it is fading into the tip. Its not the handle area. And it is red oak.
Aim small miss small!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 10:02:03 am »
It should be ok. But again all of this probably could have been avoided with a straight grained board. Looks like the grain is running diagonally along the back of the bow. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!