Author Topic: Where do you get your rock?  (Read 4141 times)

Offline nlester

Where do you get your rock?
« on: November 28, 2011, 03:11:49 pm »
I know several of you trade for your rock, but what are some other options to obtain rock?  I just got a beginner knapping kit and I'm going to try and make some points.  As of right now, I'm not interested in making knifes or anything else.  My goal is to make points to hunt and harvest deer with.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Where do you get your rock?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:21:04 pm »
This is a common question.  Let me first say that asking a knapper where to find rock is like asking a shrimp boat captain where the best spots are to catch shrimp.  ;)

Carry a hammer or stone with you so you can chip rocks that you might find locally.  Creek beds, landscape supply yards, construction sites (when they are not there), and friends' property.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline nlester

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:49:30 pm »
I guess I had that coming... ::)  I realized that there were people that searched for it.  I was just wondering if there were reputable businesses that some of you have dealt with in the past. 

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:53:35 pm »
I've had good results purchasing rock off ebay.  The best stuff I've got is from fellow knappers (face-to-face), so if you can find a knapping group, that would be your best bet.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline nlester

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:03:06 pm »
Sounds good.  I appreciate the help.

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 05:39:57 pm »
you can always go to a gem store, I know at mine they carry full stones including flint and jasper, and you can get obsidian for 1$ a pound, plus you can buy precut slabs or have it cut, which is nice with the pricey stone,  at least that's a good way to get started and they can probablly let you know about some local knappers, the fellow that owns my local store happens to be a knapper so he is alot of help, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 08:54:56 pm »
There are a few places that sell rock. I've bought rock from Charlie Bracken and Eric's rocks and such, along with several guys here that attend knap ins and sell their surplus. Can't go wrong with folks on this site.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:03:47 pm »
The only problem with buying rock from a knappers is you can bet the best rock has been set aside for there selfs.
not a big deal when ou getting started but down the road its a good idea to find a sorce of rock to collect.
There are also flint qurrys you can go to do dig your own rock and its very cheap at the qurry.
Mr Parker runs a novaculite qurry in Arkansas and you can buy it for 45 cents a pound. but it needs to be cooked at 700.
What state do you live in and i'll be able to let you know if you have rock there or not.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline warhawk

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 01:25:45 am »
I try to hunt rocks in the fields or anywhere that can get access to it. bring a hammerstone or copper bopper and hit the rock if it flakes it good. you have to realize that any knappable rock is ia good rock.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline nlester

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 11:03:07 am »
Thanks for all the help.  I'm located in southern IN in the limestone belt.....I'm betting there is a source of knappable rock somewhere close.  Thanks to everyone!

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:58:51 pm »
Go find yourself some hornstone...good stuff. Do some research on what it looks like and its location...you should be close. Go out in the farmers fields after they plow,or sometimes they pick em up and pile them in a pile. I met a guy at flint ridge last sept from your area(can't remember his name) and he had hundreds of pounds of good hornstone and that's how he scored all his.

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 08:06:58 pm »
Yep i was going to say the same thing blackhawk just said.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline TRACY

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 10:04:16 pm »
Send me a pm on your location and I can get you headed in the right direction.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline nlester

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 10:23:44 pm »
Tracy,
PM sent.  Thanks!

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 10:53:51 pm »
If you find some hornstone let me know,I'll be willing to trade some kaolin flint