Author Topic: selling furs/ running traplines.  (Read 9847 times)

youngbowyer

selling furs/ running traplines.
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:13:18 pm »
My cottontail population is booming here on the east coast. I really like the taste of them so I hunt them with a rifle once in a while. I was wondering if the furs are worth everything and if so where could I find out how much they go for and where to sell them. Also does anyone here run a trapline? Thinking about doing it in the winter for fox and rabbits. I don't really know anything about trapping so if anyone could give me some info that would be great.

Offline archerforlife2

Re: selling furs/ running traplines.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:26:04 pm »
i have been thinking about running one up here for beaver they are everywhere up this string of creeks just never figured out where to sell them at.
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:52:43 pm »
not too many outlets for furs anymore. I can send you directions on making a rabbit skin blanket based on historical California Indian examples - you could maybe sell those or trade them for things you want. Rabbitstick(ID), Wintercount(AZ), BuckeyeGathering(CA) would be good places to find primitve skill enthusiast who might be interested in your furs.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:31:30 pm »
I never saw anyone sell cottontail fur. Beaver on the other hand are worth about $40 each. Of course that depends on the year, some years they are $60 some are $10. Find your state trappers association to find out where the fur sale is.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline archerforlife2

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:45:23 pm »
okay thanks for the info.
Everbody dies but not everybody lives

youngbowyer

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 12:06:29 am »
I suppose I will just wait till I have more pelts and make some moccasins. I left a fresh pelt outside to dry and it's gone now. Dont know what took it.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 12:24:29 am »
I confess,it was me,, >:D   ;)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:58:06 am »
You may check with a magazine called Fur-Fish & Game. They post a list of fur prices in their issues. I suspect rabbit fur would be bought by fly fishing persons who tie flies. You may call Mepps fishing company or a local fly fishing shop for any info on rabbit skin needs.

Lots of info about trapping on the internet. I used to trap and can not think of the trapping catalogs out there right now. Minnesota had a catalog and I think Southern something. A business in Basset Virginia was buying furs a couple years back and selling trap supply's.

Most rabbits are caught in a rabbit box that you can make yourself out of wood boards. Probably find that on the internet also.

Good Luck
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 02:15:12 am »
Fur-Fish-Game mag is great for what you are looking for.  Cheap too!! If you have never read it, you should look it up.  If you don't want to get a subsript, maybe you can talk your local library into getting a copy.  You'll wear it out either way.  I trapped pretty hard as a teen, but have given up on leg traps outta respect for the animal.  I like conibears though for muskrats and what not and may use a leg hold once in a while if I can check it twice a day, that's the key really, being a responsible trapper takes a lot of time, you need to check your traps twice a day w/out question.  I like beaver, I'd use a hide, but not take a life.  Muskrats on the other hand...and, both are very edible if caught in a clean environment.  I think I'm gonna try to get out local library to get a sub t both FFG and PA.  Maybe we should all try that w/ PA anyway.  Rabbit fur is good to use for a moc liner, but too thin for the actual footwear.  Mitten liners, some northern natives would sort of knit green rabbit hides into a loose blanket and that would be the only bed roll for the hunter of the north woods.  Had to stay below freezing though or it would rot.  I read that in an A.R. Harding Publication, A.R. Harding started FFG, it's outta Ohio.  Good luck and check them traps 2Xs a day, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Kpete

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 02:22:34 am »
not much market for cottontail skins-pretty thin.
Trapping is great activity however.  Muskrats and mink are easy to trap and easy to skin.  Not worth as much as 20 years or so ago.  Still fascinating to do.

youngbowyer

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 09:33:25 am »
Do you use tanned skins for mocs or rawhide?

Offline johnston

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 11:29:25 am »
I think either but I have only used rawhide.

I run a few rabbit boxes mainly cause I like to eat rabbits. The skin is then but kinda chewy.

Lane

Offline Northernsport

• Shawn Hannah
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 12:36:02 pm »
My Dad runs a line in Northeastern Ontario and I grew up trapping.
He actively traps about 9000 achers and sends his fur to the North American fur auction in North Bay. Beavers used to be the game but from an efficiency standpoint they don't pay at $30. It takes about 1.5 hours to do one properly not counting setting and checking traps. Rats are the new game. They are forecasted to go about $15-$20 this spring and you can do a rat in about 2mins. Plus they are everywhere so catching 500 to 1000 isn't that difficult if you are setup to handle that much fur in the 2-3 weeks during the run.
With the new EU guideline he has switched to all the new quick kill conibers and virtually given up on leg holds.
You will learn more trapping than you can imagine as it makes you spend a significant amount of time in the bush. I would recommend taking a trappers course and spending some time with a trapper to shorten your learning curve and increase your success.
I loved trapping as a teen and still go with Dad every chance I get.
Shawn
full blood country

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2011, 03:37:25 pm »
Do you use tanned skins for mocs or rawhide?

I'd use tanned leather for the outters, and you can use dried rabbit skins to line with, but if they get wet they'll not last long.  you can also use salt/alum and water to cure the skins some, then oil them w/ neatsfoot oil.  This will help keep the hair from slipping.  They still arn't waterproof, I don't rally know any mocs that are though.  It doesn't take long to cure in the salt/alum water, I can post a receipe if you'd like to try.

dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline lowell

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »
I used to do a lot of trapping and have a big furbuyer in my home town.  Google.... Groenewold Fur & Wool Co.  It will giving info on selling furs and what is wanted!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!