Author Topic: Vine Maple for my father (Thar She Blows!!!)  (Read 13458 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Vine Maple for my father (updated with new pics and questions)
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2011, 11:12:00 pm »
Good deal Weylin. 30 year old yew. Wow. With that definitely give me a shout when you start in. Yew that old should be great ring count but may need to hydrate slightly. It can sometimes get brittle when aged real long.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:56:29 pm by Keenan »

Offline Weylin

Re: Vine Maple for my father (Thar She Blows!!!)
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2011, 10:13:46 pm »
Well, after 5+ hours of work with Gordon we got it bending evenly and added some reflex to gain back some weight. It was looking pretty good and my hopes were up. Today I tried to put it on a shorter string (with a 3" brace) and CRACK, it snapped about 6" down from the tip on the lower limb. I really learned alot from making this bow, I'll just have to make another one for my dad. Thank you Gordon for the help, I think you gave that bow the best chance it had to survive, we definitely bent it further on the tree with the long string than I bent it while stringing it. It must have just been the different string angle or something. Clearly it was going to happen sooner or later so I guess it's better that it happened then instead of when I was shooting it in. I'm already on to my next project, which is rescuing an old yew longbow that my dad started decades ago and never finished. It needs a little TLC, we'll see what I can do with it.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2011, 10:33:30 pm »
Bummer that she didn't make it but glad to hear that you are on the horse again. ;) Post pics and ask as much questions as you can. Watching Gordon work will give anyone a good training session. ;)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2011, 10:57:25 pm »
Man that sucks but thats the nature of the game we play I guess. Did you give the bow a while to rehidrate after heating in the reflex? If not that may have been the culprit behind the break but who really knows it could have been something hidden? :-\ Well look forward to your Yew, I hope you have better luck with that one, we will keep our fingers crossed!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2011, 01:27:10 am »
its a bummer.BUT grab anther one and keep on trucking....it does happen but thats how you get good...john

Offline Gordon

« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2011, 03:38:17 am »
I was concerned about that spot being a little thin, but I thought it was close enough to the tip that we might get away with it.  Oh well, lots more vine maple out there.
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2011, 07:02:18 am »
O that's to bad.  :( :(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2011, 07:59:13 am »
bad luck.....!!! try again..after you got over the trauma
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......