Author Topic: Footed Arrow Shaft  (Read 9547 times)

Offline Bushbow

Footed Arrow Shaft
« on: December 05, 2011, 01:00:19 pm »
I have not been on the forum in a while, but continue to enjoy my Traditional bows and arrows. I recently searched Youtube to find a link how to make a footed arrow, and could only find one video. Since I have made footed arrows in the past I decided to add a video to my Youtube channel. I realize most members are aware of the process, but I thought I would post this for some of the newcomers.

Chuck S.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJspZ7ZJfkc

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Footed Arrow Shaft
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:52:20 pm »
Kinda long winded, but I resemble that remark, myself.  That has me thinking I have to give this a try some day.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 10:22:05 pm »
 ;D Oh yeah, long winded for sure, but I do warn the viewer.
Chuck S.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 05:43:17 am »
Nice vid,

I have some 4 winged walnut/port orford cedar laying around waiting to be fletched. If I would make two winged footed arrows I would start out with an arrowshaft. I think reducing the footing to the right size is work enough, if you have to handplane the shaft and spine it, it gets to labor intensive (atleast for me)

On 4 footed shafts I also start out with an (5/16) arrowshaft

Greetings

stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 04:47:07 pm »
;D Oh yeah, long winded for sure, but I do warn the viewer.
Chuck S.

Hehe, you did!  You did!  And I sat thru the whole dang thing anyway!

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 11:00:40 pm »
Hi Stefan the four wing footed shafts are awesome. I admire your ability to produce something that requires such precision. I remember seeing an article in Primitive Archer describing the process. As I recall it involved using a router and a precise jig to produce the required tapered cruciform section.Scared me off, I am challenged enough cutting a straight line ;D. Agreed it is more efficient to buy the shafts. I like making my own. Although I shoot primarily bamboo now, I still like making the Douglas fir shafts. Provided you buy a straight grain board they are very strong, and typically require very little straightening. My goal with the video was to pass along what I have learned (George Tsoukuolas (sp?) for the footed shaft, Jay Massey making an arrow with a plane) to Youtube users that may have the interest. i was surprised to find so little on Youtube regarding making footed arrows.

JW, I know what you mean, I get mesmerized watching people make things  ;D. BC Grover on Youtube with his bows for example. Also any episode of the Woodwright Shop. I just like making things. I got caught up in slingshots about two years ago, I have made about 50 different designs, just for fun, not to sell.

Chuck S.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 09:02:44 am »
Hi Bushbow,

The stuff I use to make 4 footed arrows is certainly not primitive, nowadays I have acces to a bridgeport milling machine and a lathe, But when I started I made them with a dremel mounted on a piece of wood and quite simple jig (I have uploaded photo a year or so ago) and they came out just as nice.

I don't know about the jig in the magazine but my jig wasn't that difficult to construct. I liked the youtube video and admire you for making your shafts yourself.

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 04:18:51 pm »
Hi Bushbow,

The stuff I use to make 4 footed arrows is certainly not primitive, nowadays I have acces to a bridgeport milling machine and a lathe, But when I started I made them with a dremel mounted on a piece of wood and quite simple jig (I have uploaded photo a year or so ago) and they came out just as nice.

I don't know about the jig in the magazine but my jig wasn't that difficult to construct. I liked the youtube video and admire you for making your shafts yourself.

Stefan

I'd love to stop by your shop and see how you do the 4 wingers!  Footed shafts are gorgeous as well as practical in the extreme.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 09:40:29 pm »
Thanks for the video! I agree I have searched youtube for just this video in the past and no good info. Thanks for taking the time to put the video together!!

And no its not just you my wife finds wood laying around all the time in my house on the floor and I get a good talking to ;D I got brave one day and did a fair amount of sanding on the couch while watching tv, I vacumed after I was done and thought I got away with it :-\. Then I was in the shower and heard a yell " Josh you dirty SOB!!!" I forgot to vacume under the edge of the couch and there was about a 1/4" of saw dust under there lol I got a good butt chewin ??? Thanks again!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 10:59:36 pm »
Stefan I did a bt of searching and I think found your thread.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,20292.0.html
Awesome work! I especially like the spiral footing you did. You are a top notch craftsman. It does make me want to give the 4-winged footings a try. I have been looking for a new challenge, 4-winged I think will be enough of I challenge, but the spiral is really interesting.

Elktracker, I got a laugh from your post, "sanding on the couch" ;D. That sounds exactly like something I would do. No matter what, we always get caught. The thing is, guys see clean differently than women, and my wife is always on the lookout for stuff I may have messed up when she is not home.

Chuck S

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 01:42:16 am »
Bushbow,  I liked the youtube post.   It explains things  better than I would have done.   I would suggest that you try "clamping" with string.   Those C-clamps get to be a pain.  2 foot of cheap twine spiraled up and down the splice holds it very nicely.  IMO it works a lot faster and I never clamp so tight that I can't adjust the slice for straightness before the glue sets.  In fact, with no clamps in the way it's real easy to check that you're glueing things up straight. 
The string idea is one I got from an 1927 book by James Duff, (wHo was a craft trained bowyer from the UK.)

Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Stefan

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 06:42:03 am »
Hi Bushbow,

If you can make a 4 winged footed shaft, you can also make them spiral. Just steam where the footing meets the shaft and twist. The look on the face of some engineers at my archery club was priceless,..the didn't have a clue how I did it...I learned it from someone on on this forum..

I don't know what tools you have to make the jig,  you could propably make the jig with a router (I used a dremel) table saw and belt sander. You could make all the cuts parallel and use adjustable screws to set the offset for the dept...(if this doesn't make sence, I am from the netherland and I am having a hard time discribing this jig) send me a email or reply. I could make a photo of my latest jig

You could buy a jig from 3rivers, I thought about purchasing it but with shipping cost I found it to expensive, also I read in a review that you have to extend the cuts on the footings they sell, I dont have a bandsaw so I decided I better make my own jig.

Leonardo

Offline Bushbow

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 10:58:45 pm »
M-P thanks for the tip using string as the clamping force. I have seen it used for gluing bow backings but had not thought of using  string for the footing. It would be nice to be able to make a minor adjustment as needed.

Stefan I understand your description of constructing the jig. I do have all the necessary tools, I also use CAD professionally so I can work on some different design concepts. I did not realize 3 Rivers sold a jig, but for me that would remove the fun from the project. What I would like to do is design a method that allows me to use either chisels or a shoulder plane of sorts. I do not know if you have seen the TV show "The Woodwright Shop", everything is made with hand tools. I like that approach, I will see what I can come up with, if I fail at that, I have a router and dremel. Thanks for your insight, and also seeing your work, it is inspiring.

Chuck S