Author Topic: When did you start?  (Read 4683 times)

Offline bushman

When did you start?
« on: December 10, 2011, 01:49:28 am »
How long have you been knapping and what was the first thing you ever made? Also if you got a picture of it please post it.
Me, I have been knapping since I was old enough to hit or grind 2 rocks together, so lets see about 18 years giver or take a few. First things I ever made were just sharp flakes to cut stuff when I was out in the bush behind my parent’s farm, after I used them I would throw them away. First thing I ever kept was a ground slate hawk I made when I was about 6. I will take a picture of it and post it when I get a chance.
Bushman

Offline warhawk

Re: When did you start?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:46:20 am »
I started when in 2008 my wife introduced me to the Flintknappingtools website and told me to order a starter kit. I have been collecting artifacts since 1996 in Texas and i really have ever looked back.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:13:02 pm »
I guess I began my learning process about 18 years ago. When I got a seasonal job I had better access to some teachers (One guy was a rabbit sticker) and did a little more.  When my wife got sick and couldn't work I backfilled her position and began to have more time in the Indian Museum and have been knapping several times a week as the work schedule allows. I am still perplexed with thinning. Basic tool - four hammerstones, two smaller antler billets, one antler chipper, one home made copper flaker, two commercial flakers one has a wooden handle(Obsidiandesigns.com, Dr Susan Gleason) and one poly resin handle. Still got lots of learning left to do and hope to glean some useful knowledge from all of the folks here!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 05:22:50 pm »
Started watching flintknapping videos on youtube in 2007 and tried it on and off.  Got into it heavily in 2008 and almost quit.  From late 2008 to late 2009 I did nothing but abo knapping every day for a year. Somewhere in that haze the light came on when I started using indirect percussion.  Now I make videos...
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 07:27:45 pm »
I got started when warhawk gave me a piece of obsidian and a coulpe of copper boppers and a pressure flaker back in June or July, been hooked ever since.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:59:34 pm »
May 21st is the first picture I took of something I knapped, a piece of floor tile.  My first flint points were a couple weeks later, they're very rough.  Sometimes I do nice stuff now, sometimes not.  Need more lessons.  Love it though.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:50:02 pm »
I'm glad I have one of your nice points in my case, George.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 11:15:44 pm »
I have 2 beauties of yours too, just need to build a case now. :)  I just realized the only one of Patrick' s I brought home was a broken one.  I'll fix that next time we're together when he isn't looking. ;)  His are paper thin. :o  I need to start hitting more of the knap-ins both for pointers and to trade more points for a case.  I still stink at pressure flaking.  :'(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 01:14:53 am »
George, the one thing that seemed to help me with pressure flaking was practicing on slabs.  That and I intensely watched paleomanjim on youtube knapping slabs. 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 10:44:34 am »
  I started a year after I started building self bows in 89 so I guess it was 1990.I started out with glass the first 2 years. Those old junk piles have nice thick bottles lots of 1/4 inch which is perfect for arrow heads. SEAMS older glass was blow at a higher degrees and is way better tempered than glass made later or it's just made of different materal.  Killed my first buck with a knapped head in 92.It was made of glass.
  I have way to many other hobbies and knapping down the line. But I do a little each year when itwarms up. It good thing I knap for enjoyment because theres a couple people on here that turns out way better work than mine. And they been at it way less time at it than me.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bushman

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 02:01:53 am »
Here is the pictures of the hawk I made when I was knee high to a grasshopper.
Bushman

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2011, 11:43:01 am »
I started knapping about 10 years ago. At that time I had no idea there were others with the same interests. I started with glass & eventually graduated to stone. I find it a rewarding hobby , surrounded by some great people.  These are a few of my first glass & stone points. Knap-on!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 02:00:50 pm »
I think I started in "87. All my 1st points went into a frame that my ex put together and I don't know where they are. Crude and of stone I could scrounge anywhere.Started small and turned them out from flakes and mostly pressure flaked them. Learned percussion and added it to the pressure flaking and started making good ,working points.After awhile,I could copy points I found,a while later,I could make a set the same size for a batch of arrows, I am still about right there. I need to set in some knap ins and get up the ladder a bit farther. I have a knife blade from Cowboy and a large point from Tower, That are as fine a work as I have ever seen. They have inspired me to go farther. So,onward and upward.  '  Frank

Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Will H

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 04:33:37 pm »
I started knappin in the spring of '08. I had been making bows for a few years and wanted to start hunting with stone points. I bought DC Waldrofs book and video The Art of Flintknapping and a box or 2 of pedernales along with some dacite and keokuk. I went mostly abo for a while and got to where I could make good sharp hunting points pretty quick. I really had the bug for about 6 or 8 months then let it go for making bows and WORK :-[ . I didnt really pick it back up until moving to TN back in July when I met SAWFILER at the IBO. Seeing his work really lit the fire back up for me! Oh and then I met Jesse and things really started making sence. THANKS you guys!!

Heres a couple pics from my first couple months of knapping. You can see the "perd" tabs in the background...I wish I would have saved a couple of em now ::)  oh well...
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 09:58:32 pm »
Not nearly early enough in life ;)

All the places I went to and didn't have the spark and could have been collecting rock!

Seriously been at it since 2006, making small game points to shoot squirrels and rabbits at first. Trying to bring down deer with larger points today- hiGhly addictive >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956