Author Topic: Molded Leather Compass Pouch - Finished  (Read 8824 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Molded Leather Compass Pouch - Finished
« on: December 13, 2011, 01:20:10 am »
I was asked to make a compass pouch for a friend of a friend for a Christmas present.  I don't think the "friend" frequents the forum, but I'll leave names out just in case :)

It's not much to look at yet, but I'll add some pictures as I get more done.  I just wanted to share my progress so far because I've never attempted something quite like this before, and figure there must be some other leatherworkers here that might have some insight.

I thought long and hard about how I want to do this without having a bunch of ugly stitching showing.  My solution was to try molding the leather so that the only stiching would be along the back edge of the pouch.  I cut up a piece of 2x4 and used a router to round off the edges.  Then I cut an oversized piece of 4-5 oz leather, and submerged it in hot water.  I was sceptical about how much the leather would stretch, but after much rubbing and pushing, it started to take shape.  When I had it close to how I wanted, it occured to me that I'd need something to hold it that way until it dried.  I had a piece of fairly rigid foam laying around so I used the wood block as a guide to cut out a matching cavity in the foam.  Then I just layed the foam on top of it with some weight on top, and let it sit overnight.  I kind of forgot about it until tonight, but I'm glad I checked it because the wood was already starting to mildew a bit.

Here's where its at now.  The plan is to cut a back piece that is long enough to fold over the top and close with a snap or stud.  I'll attach a belt loop to the back piece before stitching along the edges.

EDIT: One thing that concerns me is how well this thing is going to hold it's shape, especially if it gets wet.  Does anyone know if there is a way I can help it "remember" how it was made to be?  I'm thinking maybe submerging it in melted wax, but that seems like a very messy idea... maybe a few coats of polyurethane? Never tried that before either...

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:17:34 am by Cameroo »

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: In progress - Molded Leather Pouch
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 01:47:58 am »
Cam that is looking pretty cool so far..

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 02:45:15 am »
I used to love to mold leather like that when I had my shop. Its amazing the shapes you can get with wet leather. It should hold it's shape fine.  Tandy's used to carry a product called Resoline. They may still. It is a clear acrylic finish that goes over your stain or dye. It is actually milky colored but dries clear.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 01:47:32 pm »
Looks good so far.  I use melted wax on my sheaths.  Its not that messy.  I have two pans for it.  The first has the melted wax.  The second pan has a small 1 by 4 with a few dowel rods in it.  Once it is dipped there will be left over wax especially inside.  I would hang it on the dowels upside down and pop it in the oven with just enough heat to melt the wax and let it run out.  Save the wooden mold.  After the wax melts, stick the mold in it and let it dry.  Some cling wrap around the mold will help it come out easier.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:22:09 am »
Thanks for the advice guys.  I got a bit more done today.  Got the back piece/front flap pretty much done.  None of the stitching is done which is why it looks so sloppy.   It took a while to get the front flap figured out since I was pretty much just wingin' it as I went.  I wanted the sides of the top opening to be covered to keep dirt and twigs from getting in there.  All that's left is to stitch those side flaps to the top, stitch the belt loop to the back, and install a snap, before stitching the front and back pieces together and trimming up the edges. One more evening should pretty much do it I hope.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 12:18:15 am by Cameroo »

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2011, 12:16:50 am »
Done!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Molded Leather Compass Pouch - Finished
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 12:44:53 am »
Very nice Cam. I like the way you made the flap especially.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Lemos

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 01:59:52 am »
Thats the neatest pouch I've seen in awhile, its got me thinking of all the things I need a pouch for.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 04:57:04 am »
... I just wanted to share my progress so far because I've never attempted something quite like this before, and figure there must be some other leatherworkers here that might have some insight.

Well, this is actually GIVING some insight, and a good lot of it, too. Many thanks for sharing this!!!
Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 05:07:29 am »
PS: How did you work this edge here? Would be great to see a detail from the inside!
Frank from Germany...

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2011, 07:13:29 am »
cool case Cam, your work is allways top shelf, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2011, 07:57:52 am »
Turned out very nice,he should love that. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 11:46:11 am »
Thanks guys. 

Frank, I'll take a few more pictures tonight, but it's basically just a flap that tucks under that edge.  I glued it then stitched it.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 11:49:04 am »
That's really cool, Cam.  Your leather work is awesome.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 01:46:50 pm »
Too cool there Cam. I love it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.