Author Topic: archery injuries  (Read 23670 times)

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
archery injuries
« on: December 13, 2011, 03:51:27 am »
so, what are the worst or most interesting injuries a bow has caused to everyone here
personally my worst was either the time i hit my unprotected arm 3 times in a row with a short 150lb osage bow(i think i was locking my elbow), half my arm was a blood blister :'(, i can take a good amount of pain, but the third time doubled me over in pain
it was either that, or the time( with this same bow of course) i accidentally pulled it too far, along with holding the string to close to the tips of my fingers, and i straightened my fingers, this wasn't a bad initial pain, but thew pain lasted for over a month mostly in one finger, causing my to shoot 60lb and below with 2 fingers till the third healed, it also scared me a little, all i remember thinking was, wait a second, i didn't release it yet and thinking, this can't be good :'(
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline aznboi3644

Re: archery injuries
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:54:35 am »
worst I've had (so far) was only a couple wacks to my forehead while tillering.  Good thing I was born with a pretty hard head and the only damage was a bump that was there for a day lol.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:28:28 am »
Mostly just my feeling hurt because of bad shooting. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 10:11:18 am »
First time I ever tried to twist up my own string I accidentally twisted one loop the wrong direction.  I used the push/pull method of stringing my bow, and when I let go of the limb the loop came undone shooting the limb tip into my face.  Probably missed my left eye by less than an inch, and about knocked me silly. 

Another time I was shooting a ROBB.  The bowyer's knot had slipped a little, so I adjusted the brace hieght but ended up getting it too high.  One shot a heard a "tick", but I ignored it.  On the next shot "BOOM".  The upper limb hit me across the left eye, drawing some blood and leaving a nice long streak of a bruise for several days.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Kpete

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 12:27:08 pm »
sharpening broadheads.  I cut my right index finger right where the bowstring rests.  conveniently it was the day before a long planned pronghorn hunt.  I was able to shoot with just middle finger and ring finger and made the shot on a prairie goat at 12 steps.
Probably the most damage I did was dressing out a doe wt.  I guess this isn't just archery related but it was a bowkilled deer.  I was showing my kids how to "safely" gut a deer.  cutting around the rear end, I just tapped my left pinky finger with my knife.  "Wow that was close" I thought to myself, " I almost cut myself".  Well I had cut myself-down to the tendon requiring an orthopedic surgeon and 5 weeks of therapy.   :-X

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 12:37:30 pm »
Yah, I cut myself really bad with a broadhead once too. It was on an aluminum arrow, and I was trying to unscrew it without a tool. I was just using my hand. I slipped, and cut my left thumb right to the bone on the palm side. Ever had stitches in the fingers or hand? Friggin' hell... it hurts! This was many years ago, but my thumb is still numb.

Noel... why did you hit your unprotected arm THREE times??? After the first time, wouldn't you think twice??  :o
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 04:00:51 pm by adb »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 02:26:09 pm »
My only archery related injuries have been while cutting osage. 

Here are a few pictures of the dangers of compounds.  None of them are me ;)

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »
OO , My hands hurt just looking at those pics! That's gonna leave a mark!   Josh

Offline cracker

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 06:37:44 pm »
Not really an  injurliy but funny as heck. I made a light weight long  bow out of a 1x2 red oak plank just for fun I was standing on the front porch shooting and my wife came out and wanted to shoot it so I handed to her. She had come out wearing only a t shirt and no foundation garment when she released the string it tweeked a certain sensitive part of her anatomy. Consequentially the bow was name T####e Twister. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 06:53:24 pm »
Not really an  injurliy but funny as heck. I made a light weight long  bow out of a 1x2 red oak plank just for fun I was standing on the front porch shooting and my wife came out and wanted to shoot it so I handed to her. She had come out wearing only a t shirt and no foundation garment when she released the string it tweeked a certain sensitive part of her anatomy. Consequentially the bow was name T####e Twister. Ron

That's funny!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 07:26:33 pm »
I use to cut my hand up purrty good shooting, but once i turned the arrow around that quit happening ::), Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 11:35:08 pm »
 Ronnie, you're sick, brother, know why I love ya,  now. ;)

All those carbon arrow shots brought back memories. I had a Port Orford Cedar arrow that was cracked in front of the fletching dig into my hand in front of the index finger knuckle on release. About seven inches of wood, paint and fletching went in and played Pin ball machine inside of my hand. I went through about 2 hours of surgery with a Plastic Surgeon, and 4 nights and 5 days in the hospital hooked up to antibiotic IV's around the clock. He told me after I got out that I almost lost my hand from infection.

Whether it's psycological or not, I can't shoot off the knuckle without a glove now.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 08:44:32 am »
  This was just passed down from someone I know. He hunted with these 2 brothers. They went to the YOKON moose hunting. They got on a mosse 25 yards the one was filming. He got down on one knee. But had to move to the left. When he stood up the other brother was all ready drew.
  And released hitting his brother in the back on the head. Only the tip penatrated his skull Sticking in so hard they had to leave it in uncrewing the arrow and rode 18 miles to the trail head then drove 110 miles to a hospitial. The DOC. bow hunted and said good thing it was a conitial head and not a 2 blade or he might have goten a pass through.
  I saw the pic's. of it with the back of his head shaved and the muzzy sticking in his head.
 It was ulgly
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 02:13:02 pm »
Back in college I was taking archery classes to fill time and give me a break from "real" classes. One girl turned her arm into blue/gree/black hamburger via bow string. Another girl had large lips and breasts and managed once to tweak her lip with the string and another time her nipple! Ouch any way you look at it.  At this point I am working full time (2 hrs roundtrip commute)and raising two grandkids so have not had much time to do anything else.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 05:48:45 pm »
Osage Outlaw, you are a mean man... :)

Well I guess it'll be my turn to wake up my three year old with mightmares tonight, instead of the other way round...

hehe...

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX