Author Topic: Mullet time  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Bone pile

Mullet time
« on: December 14, 2011, 11:33:11 am »
On the West cost of Fla. it's mullet time ,they are schooling up and heading out to spawn.I netted 50 in the last two days,here's the lastest victims.I'll split 'em and they'll be on the smoker come Saturday.Fried mullet ,smoked mullet, mullet dip and mullet roe for the guys at lunch Monday.

And use the heads and scraps for stone crabs,yum yum
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Mullet time
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 12:12:58 pm »
Those are some nice cobs.  I've never tried eating any of them, but I wouldn't mind giving it a try.  Looks like some great drum bait.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 12:40:09 pm »
You saltwater guys are sooooo lucky. One trip to the keys changed my fishing life forever. I was a freshwater fishing FOOL until I went down there to fish the gulf and ocean side. Now thats fishing! I havent fished twice up here in 3 years.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:43:31 pm »
I need to get over to the coast. I picked up 10# of fillets from my brother in Jaxsonville on the way home from Pappy's, good eatin'.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 01:16:55 pm »
Sounds good... yum.. Great catch there
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 05:40:19 pm »
We have resterants that specialze in mullet!  my favorite fish for at least 49 years!! 8) 8)
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline Nidhoggr

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 05:44:22 pm »
I was hoping for the other kind of mullet  >:D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 05:47:28 pm »
I'd bet Eddie wouldn't taste all that good! too tough!!!  ;D
  Fresh mullet fried crisp is hard to beat with some hushpuppies, cole slaw and a(or more) cold beers. Mullet dip is to die for!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 09:20:01 pm »
   I found a spot right next t my house about 10 miles from the ocean where the mullet had migrated up this little sorm drainage ditch, I can't get them to bit but have had pretty good luck snagging them as they seemd to be trapped or just massively schooling. The water is stagnant, polluted, very shallow 18" and pretty much black but doesn't seem to bother them. I cut them open and they smell good but I haven't got the guts to eat them yet.  I am pretty sure the black is just from rotting vegetation and the pollution is run off from the streets.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 10:29:54 pm »
Nice Roger!  Look forward to seeing you pretty soon.
1’—>1’

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 11:33:42 pm »
I catch them often.....even had them jump into the boat but I have never ate them.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 12:08:16 am »
 Steve, take a rod with a little brim hook and put a small piece of white plastic worm on it. Then chum where they are with Chicken Scratch feed and fish on the bottom. The black you see on the organ cavity is common, just rub your finger on it under running water to wash it off or just fillet them. Don't forget to get the gizzard.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Rick Wallace

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 01:38:00 am »
Them gizzards are fine eatin! we also can them,we call it Florida salmon! good stuff!
U.S.ARMY '86-'91  East Milton Fl.   Dont take yourself to seriously,,No one else does

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 02:05:22 am »
When I saw this title I thought it was about spending time with Eddie.. Aka Mullet. Are those mullet different than the mullet we have on the Texas coast?

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 08:54:10 am »
Mullet are the chicken of the sea,they fly through the air,have gizards and everything eats them.We have two types here ,silver and blacks.The silver mullet are a little smaller and I like them for frying.The blacks can get huge and I think smoke up better.The blacks are spawning right now so they're in big pods with the big hens full of eggs and all the boys mixed in making sure the water is well fertilized. I'll freeze some up for the knapp-in.I agree mullet hush puppies and a cold one is hard to beat.
Bone pile
Venice Florida