Author Topic: Went looking for copperheads, found these...  (Read 11930 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Went looking for copperheads, found these...
« on: July 27, 2007, 09:04:31 pm »
A buddy of mine took me to a farm he hunts to look for some copperheads. I didn't find any, but I did find these nine timber rattlers. Four came from under one piece of tin roofing, two others from under a big flat rock and three more under a another big rock. All of them came from within a 200 yard radius, in less than an hour.
  There's hundreds and hundreds or acres of terrain just like where these came from that we didn't look over. Makes ya wonder just how many live there.
 At any rate, none of these went to waste. The skins will make fine limb covers and most of the meat has already been layed in hot grease!
  All in all, we both got what we wanted. I got some snakes, and he got rid of some.  I'm still looking for them copperheads though.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Re: Went looking for copperheads, found these...
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 09:34:01 pm »
Good show! I HATES snakes!!!! Dont think I will hunt them but the more power to ya!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 09:37:49 pm »
That is a pretty impressive days work.  I'm glad to hear you ate them. 
David, how can you hate snakes?  They are impressive survivors, and wonderfull rodent controll. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 09:51:15 pm »
                                Snakes are efficient and deadly predators. They perform a service in nature, we dont ! Maybe ya wanna think about rethinkin' the "hate" thing ? ;)......bob

makete

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2007, 10:09:04 pm »
WOW!!!!! ;D Thems some nice looking snakes. I live up where it is too cold for anything but garder snakes, but used to hunt rattlers with my brother when we lived in Arizona. Boy is it an exciting and enjoyable past time. And I also am glad you ate them as we gave our snake meat to an older lady who lived about 5 miles from us. She didnt have much money and really appreciated the snake, rabbit and quail we gave her. Have fun.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2007, 11:46:10 pm »
I don't normally kill snakes of any kind. I just wanted some skins. I didn't eat these although I have ate it and like it. I gave these to a friend of mine. He cooked all of them and invited some of his neighbors over for some fried "rabbit". They loved it...even after they found out what it really was!
  Like I said, I was just hoping for a copperhead or two, but I just couldn't resist myself.  If I wasn't going to use the whole snake, I would have left them as I found them.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Jbell

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2007, 03:36:58 am »
Wow!  Mother nature did a great job on those patterns, beautiful.
Justin Blunt

Offline DanaM

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2007, 06:40:17 am »
Man wish we had them around here, makete you ever run into pine(eastern fox) snakes up yer way?
when I was a kid we would get em 4' long but I hardly ever see them anymore and don't have the
heart to kill em fer their skins.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

makete

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2007, 10:11:28 am »
Nope, aint seen one, yet. May have to take a road trip. ;D How did you kill them rat eaters? We used to use a 22 with bird shot. Had to use that after I ended up with pieces of lead in my shin from 22's shot by my brother. We would dig into packrat dens in the spring to find the rattlers who went in to eat the rats. We would also drive around at night and find them on the roads. Now that was fun and exciting. Trying to kill a snake in the dark with a stick.lol. Once killed a rattler while out hunting quail who had just killed and eaten a quail and it had cholla quills all over its face. It looked like it was in a lot of misery so I put it out of its misery. If I remember right it was about 5 feet long.  

tradrick

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2007, 10:37:11 am »
Ya'll make me look at snakes in a whole different kinda way.Great looking skins.tradrick

Offline Mickey

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 01:37:41 pm »
Man that's a nice haul. Snakes give me the heebie jeebies. I have a rat snake that lives around the house. Sometimes find him in the window sill or on the front porch. he's a solid 5'er. Figure he keeps mice out of the house, but I'll walk all the way around the house and go thru the back door if he's on the front porch, rather than go thru the front door. I don't like being that close to them. Do like putting skins on bows though  ;)

Offline venisonburger

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2007, 01:45:26 pm »
Nice bunch of snakes,Being an ex-chef, I would love to get my hands on some rattler to cook,never tried it. Dana, I have a 4 foot pine snake skin that I got from a friend in my freezer as we speak, ironically I'm doing a bow for his daughter and so it will go on her bow, I'm gonna make the one skin work so I don't have to kill another snake, Had a good size one in the middle of my street in town at night last year, I thought about killing it, instead my son and I picked it up, took it to my back yard(wooded)and let it go, didn't have the heart to kill it. I can't judge people who kill rattlers, they are dangerous, pine snakes on the other hand aren't a threat here. Plus, in Michigan you can't sell them, so if they go on a bow it can't be sold(the bow I'm making is a gift) sales of animal parts in Michigan is a no no.
VB

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2007, 03:23:23 pm »
Ah ya got me wrong guys! I don't want them all killed I just have a phobia where snakes come into the picture. Was on an archy. dig on the Snake river in Oregon back around 1994 and ended up running into around 6 rattlers in 10 minutes. After that I have always had a phobia where snakes are concerned. Especially the poisonous ones!

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Kegan

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 05:47:59 pm »
I don't much care for snakes... cause with my eyes, they all look like branches till I'm practically stepping on them ;) (and it is another story when you run around everywhere barefoot :o). Couldn't bring myself to kill them though- too many accidents with the trucks on little ring snakes :'(. Them and gardner snakes are cool little critters. Like chipmunks :).

jamie

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2007, 08:13:23 pm »
mmm good eaten.