Author Topic: Bend through handle bow Q's  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Brent.Mac.

Bend through handle bow Q's
« on: December 20, 2011, 12:03:16 am »
Hey guys,
I'm going to get a board tomorrow, probably red oak, or hickory.  So I'm wondering if I should let the bow bend through the middle.  Are their any pros/cons to doing this? 
I might add reflex, correct me if I'm wrong but thats when you bend the tips away from you. Also any pros/cons of reflex.

So if I want it to bend through the middle I just keep the taper even? Very low angle.

Can I do this with a 6ft board, or do I need a shorter one?
Wood recommendations welcome!

Thanks Everyone!
-Brent

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Bend through handle bow Q's
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 12:18:28 am »
If you find a nice piece of hickory you can go as narrow as 1 1/4 inch wide at the handle area and do a straight taper from the handle to the tips, leaving the tips about 3/4 inch wide.  No narrowing necessary at the handle, just round it a little so it feels better in the hand. 

That is a very typical style of bow of many of the Southeastern tribes. 

I've been using that bend thru the handle style for teaching kids how to build bows for a while now.  I found doing the narrowed handles and fadeouts were slowing the kids down too much and most failures happened right at the fades anyway.  Simpler is better most of the time, and these bendy handle bows are as simple and effective as they get.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Brent.Mac.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 06:03:05 pm »
Thanks for the tips!

Now should I make it shorter then 72 inches, I'm planning on adding reflex.  Or is longer generally easier, stress on the bow and tillering wise?
I'm also backing it with linen or something other then wood.
Thanks!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 06:47:12 pm »
Hickory, hickory, hickory. J-dub covered the rest.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 07:47:54 pm »
What draw length?

Lane

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 12:46:44 am »
If you go a full 72" then the wood will not really be bending very much at full draw. There will be a lot of wood on those limbs adding up to MASS.  You will probably get better results shortening your bow to about 66".  Even if you have a 30" draw length (and a true 30" draw is rare), you will have plenty of extra limb to give you a measure of safety. 

Don't worry about recurving your tips or any fancy work.  Just concentrate on scraping the limbs until you have a good job of tillering done.   
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 10:55:08 am »
I didn't note your draw length and it is impossible to give a length without knowing that.  I favor bend in the handle bows for boards. Also need to know the target weight. Adding a glued on handle adds another dimension. My site has info. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!