Author Topic: Simple Bowstrings  (Read 22510 times)

Offline Dictionary

Re: Simple Bowstrings
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 09:16:54 pm »
A Flemish twist is much easier to make than the TBB2 shows it to be... When I make mine I take to bundles of b-50 that are well waxed, usually 7-8 strands per bundle. Starting 8 inches from the end of the bundle, start reverse twisting them together for 3 inches. then fold this over to form a loop. now match the two bundles back up and reverse twist them together, sealing off your loop. Do this same thing on the other side. Then simple twist the loops in opposite directions to lengthen or shorten the string. A finished string can be made in 20 minutes including the serving with practice. This is hard to describe without pictures so Look on youtube for some vids... There are some good ones out there. Hope this helps.

Jon

You made that sound very simple Jon. I know how to do a simple reverse twist. Once you get both loops done with the reverse twist, then what? You said "Then simple twist the loops in opposite directions to lengthen or shorten the string."

Also why do you have to have loops on both sides? Why not a loop on one side and the other reverse twisted to a length longer than the bowstring, knot it, and then use some type of hitch to string the bow that way?

And sorry for all of the many questions. Primitivearcher makes me feel like a complete idiot.  I'll try not to get discouraged but when i witness so much extraordinary skill by many of the bowyers on this site, and me trying to grasp a skill they look at as easy, it makes me feel like more of an idiot.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 09:29:20 pm »
It is quite simple. You can also do what you said. I prefer two loops but some prefer a timber hitch on one side and a loop on the other. Once you have both ends reversed twisted the center of the string will still be two strands and the loops will come undone. Therefore you must twist, (not reverse twist, just a simple twist) the whole string to join these two strands to form a single string. Good luck.

Jon

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 09:38:19 pm »
I used this series of videos to learn to do a flemish twist string. I found them better than most other vids out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4x7W71_MQQ&list=FLdVx229QP9-bfsw6FhHxHHQ&index=12&feature=plpp_video

That is part 1 of 4 or 5 videos.

Like others have said, it is very hard to explain how to do a flemish string, but fairly simple to actually do.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 09:49:43 pm »
I used this series of videos to learn to do a flemish twist string. I found them better than most other vids out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4x7W71_MQQ&list=FLdVx229QP9-bfsw6FhHxHHQ&index=12&feature=plpp_video

Like others have said, it is very hard to explain how to do a flemish string, but fairly simple to actually do.

I thank you for that. It is becoming more clear to me.

I figure, i am going to have to experiment a good bit. It may take me longer than most since i am an idiot, but i suppose its only a matter of time before it clicks.

Thank you to those who have helped me
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline dbb

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 09:54:51 pm »

I agree with Slackbunny,i learned from the same video,easy to follow.

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »
I would suggest that you get some artificial sinew and practice the process making some short (1' - 2') cordage. Do this until you get comfortable then switch to a bow string with whatever you are going to use. That way you will be happier with your first string. After that, it becomes second nature.
Good Luck
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 10:34:24 pm »
I make flemish twist strings without using a jig.

I second that. I use kitchen chairs instead of a jig.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 10:34:24 pm »
A 14strand reverse twist(7 strand per bundle)  of b57 cord is an adequate bowstring though, right? That is my first attempt.

-JW_Halverson

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 10:42:14 pm »
What poundage of bow?

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 11:04:57 pm »
What poundage of bow?

Aiming for 40-45

-JW_Halverson

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2011, 12:06:00 am »
I have to admit I have not heard of 'b57'. ???

I use B50.
Using that, your thread count would be more than plenty for that poundage. You could even go lighter. IMO anyway.

Roman

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2011, 12:15:41 am »
Here is one of the best manuals for making the flemish string I have ever seen: http://poorfolkbows.com/flemish1.htm

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2011, 11:44:32 am »
Years ago I had to be shown how do the twist ("Come on baby! Let's do the twist!) Sorry. Anyway, a video would sure help. I only twist the loops. I don't twist the whole string. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2011, 12:43:42 pm »
Here is one of the best manuals for making the flemish string I have ever seen: http://poorfolkbows.com/flemish1.htm

Ok i viewed this. And i'm thinking i like the idea of using a timber hitch because it is more adjustable and i may be able to use the string for more than one bow. So i just simply reverse twist one end, make the loop, then reverse twist the entire length, tie a knot on the end and that's it?

Also i read serving the string is to keep it from getting worn out, is this absolutely necessary? And also can i get away without using wax? Because i have none.

-JW_Halverson

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2011, 01:59:30 pm »
And i'm thinking i like the idea of using a timber hitch because it is more adjustable and i may be able to use the string for more than one bow.

Strings are not expensive. Make a string for a bow and leave it on the bow. The nock point is going to be different on a different bow.