Author Topic: collecting tools to make a bow.  (Read 5253 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
collecting tools to make a bow.
« on: December 30, 2011, 01:47:52 pm »
So, I've yet to make a bow.  I've shot trad. for years, but really want to shoot a self bow.  I've been collecting tools and here's what I've got.  I bought a 12" band saw off Craigs list for $100, it's a craftsman, but has been all refabbed, has a 3/4 hp motor and a nice homemade steel stand, uses a 1/2" blade, I have a draw knife and a 2" block plane and my Dad just got me a spoke shave for Christmas.  I'm wondering about it though, it has a curved bottom on it, is that ok? 
Seems to be a real nice one, it's made by KUNZ out of Germany, it's a No.51AR.  I used it last night to make a hawk handle out of blue beech and it worked great.  I also aquired a shaving bench from a buddy who wanted to get it out of his antique shop in Bean Blossom, Indiana.  Besides sand paper, straight edge, nock file and a stave, is there anything else I'll need.

Thanks, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline stringstretcher

• Traditionalarcherycommunitysite.com
Re: collecting tools to make a bow.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:55:10 pm »
Get you a Dean Torges Rasp or a Nicholson #49 an #50 rasp, some cabnit scrapers, and you should be able to make any bow you want

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 01:56:50 pm »
I would also suggest a farriers rasp.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Shaun

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 01:58:32 pm »
You'll want a Nicholson #49 rasp and/or farriers rasp, a scraper and maybe a Bowyers' Edge that looks like a spokeshave but is really a scraper in a similar handle set up. For scrapers a plain rectangular steel scraper works fine. Spoke shaves are great for material that cuts well and has nice grain like your beech or yew and hickory - does not work as well on osage unless the grain is very straight.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 02:00:53 pm »
Find the thread on the 'Gizmo'. This is a very handy tillering tool to add to your kit.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 03:00:03 pm »
rasp scraper and some b-50 dacron.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 07:55:04 pm »
Gary Davis' video "Rattlestick" would be a big help to a first time bowyer.  Good luck and post your progress. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2011, 08:06:54 pm »
I would have to add
Paul Comstock's book 'The Bent Stick'.
I still concider it part of my 'tool kit'.

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2011, 08:27:37 pm »
I have "rattlestick", got it in a trade on this site.  Haven't watched yet.  Have watched st.charles, but don't plan on making a billet bow.  I've plenty of b-50, looks like I need a couple of files and a scraper.  Anybody still use glass?  I knew an old Kentukian who hand split train ties, and would wear ax handles out.  :o  he made his own and would finish them w/ a piece of glass.  I've done it a few times w/ spoons and letter openers.  Thanks for the replys, dpgratz

Offline dwardo

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2011, 08:37:45 pm »
Lately its from living to bow,, fell with a saw, split with an axe, rough out with the same axe, draw knife, cab scraper, sand n finish. Oh and a rat tail file and pen knife for nocks.

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2011, 08:56:00 pm »
hatchet, a knife, a rasp, sometimes wedges and mallet is all i have been using for my attempts at bows.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2011, 09:13:20 pm »
dude, stop thinking 'bout what you need and just build a bow, first couple i built i ruffed it out on my in-laws bandsaw and did the rest with a four in one, a chainsaw file and a knife for a scraper. They are alot more fun to make if you're makin',  >:D, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2011, 09:30:01 pm »
You don't really need many tools. There are buildalongs on my site which show the tools I use. It's probably not a good idea to use power tools until you have made a good 1/2 dozen bows. They do remove wood fast and you need to go slow. Jawge
http://georgeandjoni.home.comcast.net/~georgeandjoni/
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bowtarist

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2011, 10:16:01 pm »
ok ok, I cut some maple last winter and am going to give it a try.  I roughed out a couple of kids bows a year ago or so and broke them both.  Guess that's just part of it, huh?  Suppose I've got everything I need.  I thought about hitting up the local sawmill too to see what they have.  I've been reading and rereading TBB2 chaper on board bows and also #1 too.  I don't post often on this page, but hope to more.  Thanks for the push Bubby.  ;D H.N.Y., dpg

Roman

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 01:18:16 am »
Bowtarist, looks like you got all you need to get started. Start working on your first bow and you will see what else you need...