Author Topic: Tab or glove  (Read 9627 times)

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Tab or glove
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 02:13:22 pm »
Not trying to be argumentative, but I have to disagree with is...

Seems like there is a lot to choose from if you shoot a tab, onlu one real style of glove.

I own at least 3 different 'styles' of glove, and some of those are made of different materials. I find there is lots to choose from in the glove section.

I see what you're saying, diff. material and open palm or closed palm, but you still stick three fingers in all of them and latch the wrist if it has one.  W/ tabs you've got split finger, three under, w/ or w/o a spacer, leather, calf, plastic, cordovan, some w/ a hole to put your middle finger thru, some w/ a loop on the back to put your finger thru...do you see where I'm coming from?
With gloves you have split finger, three under, w/ or w/o tip renforcing, cow hide, pig skin, nylon, full glove, w/ w/o wrist cinch, closed palm, and of course open palm.

OK, I take it back, there are a lot of choices out there for both the glove and the tab.  Although I've never seen a glove for three under shooting?  What's the difference in a three under and a split finger glove?
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 03:53:59 pm »
May I just don't understand. But I thought it was where you placed your finger on the string. I have seen people shoot 3 finger under with a tab that had the spacer for the split finger. I have seen guys shoot 3 under, 3 split, 2 finger split bare handed. I have seen guys use golf gloves. I would think it would have more to do with your release than how the tab or glove is constructed.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2011, 04:32:09 pm »
I always use a tab. I can cut a free one out of some scrap leather in minutes and i can simply flip it out the way to use that hand. It becomes almost non-existent on my hand after shooting with one for a couple of years and is quite comfortable. The main attraction for me though is that I can make my own anytime I want to.

Jon

Offline PaulLovesJamie

• Kutztown Car Wash
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2011, 06:34:09 pm »
Tab, because they are generally thicker & more protective of the fingers - I have a scar on the tip of my ring finger that hurts like crazy when I shoot, a thick tab makes it tolerable.
I should know better.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2011, 06:54:53 pm »
Tab, because they are generally thicker & more protective of the fingers - I have a scar on the tip of my ring finger that hurts like crazy when I shoot, a thick tab makes it tolerable.

I have that same thing though it is healed now into a callus.  ;D ;D ;D ;D My finger looked like minced eat for a summer since i shot for 2 hours every day.... Ouch.

Jon

Offline davkt

« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2011, 09:04:00 pm »
I use a glove for trad stuff like my ELB or Mongolian horsebows as I seem to get a better feel for the string and shot, but use a tab on my modern target recurve for exactly the same reason! What gives me the best on the (considerably heavier draw weight) primitive bows just doesn't work for me on the new kit.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 06:17:53 pm »
Thanx for all the input guys. You've helped me make my decision, I'll get both.
Gary

Offline Dazv

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 03:55:11 pm »
i prefer a glove

FAW

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 10:37:46 pm »

Using an American Leathers glove, however have a SAM tab tied to the quiver - not sure why, just like the added security and know both work well.

Offline rudderbows

• Rudderbows Archery
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2012, 02:28:36 am »
no glove and no tab, fingers are so calloused from shooting and wood working they have little feeling left in them

Offline seabass

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 12:08:39 am »
american leather bison glove with nylon pds for a smooth slick release.best glove i have ever had.kind of pricey,but well worth it for me.i cut three finger tips off my hunting gloves and strap the shooting glove over that in cold weather.works great for me.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 01:03:16 am »
american leather bison glove with nylon pds for a smooth slick release.best glove i have ever had.kind of pricey,but well worth it for me.i cut three finger tips off my hunting gloves and strap the shooting glove over that in cold weather.works great for me.

Just picked one of these up this weekend at the Kzoo Trad Archery Expo...haven't shot with it yet but I am looking forward to it.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2012, 01:20:12 pm »
Damascus glove for me. I tried a tab when I first got started but I like the glove. I can feel the string better.   Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 11:29:30 pm »
This what I use but mine is elk leather.  Cant beat it.....love it.  I did start out with my own homemade tab though.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:14 pm »
Anything EXCEPT a glove works for me. Tab, bare fingers or hunting gloves that day.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.