Author Topic: a stupid ?  (Read 1164 times)

Offline bubby

a stupid ?
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:52:08 pm »
I noticed alot of you sighn or mark your point's, is there a reason why or just like an artist sighning a painting? Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline half eye

Re: a stupid ?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 09:28:20 pm »
bubby,  a fella named Dan Hamblin up in Utah made me some arrow heads and a couple of knife blades and his was all signed. I guess it so they dont get passed off as "originals" or so they can be condisered fakes. All my points go on hunting arrows (including some very nice burnt butte from out west 8)) so it wont ever be a problem with mine .....but maybe if they was going into a collection of some kind.
rich

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »
Scratch em'with your mark,why take  the chance of some idiot trying to make a buck on your hobby/skill.
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 11:16:04 am »
I scratch & date my hunting points. One day far , far in the future someone will find it & there will be no doubt about its age or maker. Kinda cool if ya stop & think about it.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 03:52:47 pm »
About 5-6 years ago an item appeared on a website that rhymes with Ebay.  It was a French and Indian War era spike polled tomahawk.  Along with the rather finely made forged steel head and (obviously) replaced curly maple haft was a detailed report from a reputable historian documenting the provenance of the weapon along with a list of probable blacksmiths that may have made it and where they had their shops. 

I was interested to see it sold for about $8,000.  You can get the same exact spike hawk today from the original blacksmith himself!  After ALL these long years Joe DeLaRonde is still making 'hawks and using the same exact touchmarks on the blades.  But he is sad to have to report he isn't getting anywhere near the $8K the seller online got after etching and aging the supposed heirloom. 

"Buyer beware" of course, but there are the unscrupulous that will try to sell the points you gave away for a bucket of rocks.  And trust me, they aren't going to offer to split the profits with you.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 07:15:24 pm »
Very well said!

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 04:50:43 am »
Signing helps to prevent fraud.  But if someone wants to sell counterfiet arrowheads, it's not hard to do.  Many modern arrowheads coming out of India and Mexico, for example, are routinely sold as authentic.  Fortunately, collectors are getting better and better at spotting items that are modern made.  If you want to be a serious collector, however, you'll probably want to find 90% of your collection yourself:  surface hunting or digging.

Signing can also add value to a reproduction if the artist is well known.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr