Author Topic: Where to buy obsidian?  (Read 6659 times)

Offline blackpanem

Where to buy obsidian?
« on: January 08, 2012, 01:22:38 pm »
I started flint knappin about a month ago and im running out of flint. so im wondering where i can get a lot of obsidian that is knapable for not very much money. links and websites would be appreciated!

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Where to buy obsidian?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 01:28:56 pm »
I started flint knappin about a month ago and im running out of flint. so im wondering where i can get a lot of obsidian that is knapable for not very much money. links and websites would be appreciated!
Links are against the rules.  ;)
I have some obsidian I would trade you.  Ill send you a PM.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:54:52 pm »
If you are looking for obsidian I could send you a flat rate box full if you want to pay shipping. let me know

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 09:46:13 pm »
OOOOO....could I get in on that deal? ;D
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 09:54:45 pm »
Don't forget the box of bandaids on that trade >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 01:41:45 pm »
I work almost exclusively in obsidian and have only gotten one real cut.  If you talk nice to it while you work it won't eat so much of you.  I have folks that come to Yosemite fairly regularly and they usually bring me stuff.  I have even had Rock hounds send me flat rate boxes in the mail.  Good luck in your search. 

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 02:00:03 am »
I just ordered some obsidian off the net...
Some slabs and some raw...
Not sure if I'd know good obsidian from bad yet but will post back after I break it... :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:51:06 pm »
If someone is selling "bad" obsidian they need to be dragged over it!  If it has pumice crystals or lots of "micro air" pockets it will be problematic other wise you should be good to go. Good luck.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 06:37:36 pm »
Stay away from the Snow flake obsidian, the flakes are ash.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 09:36:13 pm »
If you use slabbed snowflake obsidian it will still make a nice point.  It is presumed that the snowflake obsidian is the oldest obsidian in the geologic timetable and the flakes are actually crystalline structures that have begun to form in the obsidian matrix. Generally obsidian is a non-crystalline material. Let me see if I can find the snowflake I made and take a pic of it.  The only time I end up with "bad" obsidian is when I do not take the time to break it right. It is easy enough to slab if you don't want to waste a lot.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 10:00:47 pm »
Stay away from the Snow flake obsidian, the flakes are ash.
Good to know Eddie, thought about buying some recently. Anyone ever tried the slab triangles for hunting points?

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:40 am »
Tracy, I have cut a lot of triangles and used them, that is the only kind of points I can make, but snowflake still wont work. As you run flakes they will hit the ash and stop so you can never get a flake to run all the way to the middle.

I have an endless supply of good stuff if anyone wants some.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 12:57:13 am »
Tracy, like Justin said, they work great. Let winter pass here and I'll cut and send you some. No need to buy them. Winter last three days in Florida and then goes back up to 80dgs for a day or two. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 02:39:18 pm »
RE: Snowflake obsidian - The flakes in true snowflake obsidian are cristobalite crystals in the obsidian matrix and not ash. I have found ash and pumice pockets in less desirable obsidian but not in the snowflake. Check the Wiki definition of obsidian and other online references for other descriptions.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 03:18:27 pm »
Tracy, I have cut a lot of triangles and used them, that is the only kind of points I can make, but snowflake still wont work. As you run flakes they will hit the ash and stop so you can never get a flake to run all the way to the middle.

I have an endless supply of good stuff if anyone wants some.
Justin, I could take you up on that offer...what do you need for a bunch?  Do you slab it as well or work from spauls/flakes?  Thanks!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~