Author Topic: Black Locust Holmegaard (sort of)  (Read 2021 times)

Henrik

Black Locust Holmegaard (sort of)
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:53:33 pm »
Hey all

This will be my first flatbow, and just my second ever bow. Inspired by the holmegaard design this will be a shotbow at app 55 inches tip to tip.

It is just beginning to bend a little in the limbs having thinned them down to 1/2 inches thickness. Now I will focus on getting one overall ring on the back, or back it with silk before I start the tillering process.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:52:30 pm by Henrik »

Offline Stingray45

Re: Black Locust Holmegaard (sort of)
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 04:04:34 pm »
Looking good so far.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Henrik

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 04:25:06 pm »
Looking good so far.

now it's just down to all the exciting stuff with files and scrapers :D

really addictive hobby I must admit :D

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 04:31:28 pm »
looking good... Since the bow is so short I would recommend a short draw length because this design puts a ton of stress on the inner limbs and you have a stiff handle.. Am looking forward to the finished bow. Good luck.

Jon

Henrik

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 04:35:14 pm »
looking good... Since the bow is so short I would recommend a short draw length because this design puts a ton of stress on the inner limbs and you have a stiff handle.. Am looking forward to the finished bow. Good luck.

Jon

How short would you think the draw length should be? the inner limbs are 14 and 17 inches respectively (Asymmetrical due to a knot right at the handle area)

Henrik

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 07:27:30 pm »
Hmm managed to break this bow, so on to the next stave, and hopefully new learning experiences...