Author Topic: rules?????  (Read 3038 times)

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
rules?????
« on: January 10, 2012, 10:48:48 am »
ok can someone explain the rule of 5:8 for a english war bow please it has gotten me so confused
doc

Offline Ian.

Re: rules?????
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 11:48:58 am »
Its a rule the BLBS made to govern Victorian target bows made in the longbow shape. It means the depth has to be no less than 5/8th the width. So you can not make a bow to flat. i.e if the bow is 30mm wide it can be no less than 18.5mm deep, any less is not considered to be a true longbow shape. Warbows in the middle ages and before would generally follow this rule all the Mary Rose bows do follow this guideline, whether they used or had flat-bows in the middle ages is a point of constant argument.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline jturkey

• I wouldn't make it a habit calling me that!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:51:48 pm »
ok so it is i rule of measurement ok i think i got it thanks Ian.
doc

Offline nidrinr

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 10:25:15 pm »
..About wether or not flatbows existed in the middle ages, they did.

There are some founds of more or less complete bows, and lots of fragments indicating that a "flatbowish" design were all of a sudden very popular in Norway in the later middle age period. (Starting from 1100+)

Theese bows are often referred to as "tvividr" -or "two-wood" bows, as they were laminated using pine compression wood for the belly, and mostly birch for the back. As the pine compression wood is the surviving parts of theese bows, and the wood for the back in most cases have not survived, one might guess if there has been other woods on the back too..

This type of bow were often as long as the earlier typical yew or wytch elm viking warbows, but were now often designed with more flat limbs and a narrow handle. (some were still designed using the old typical longbow design) The estimates of theese bows indicate that we're still talking heavy bows.

Pine compression wood is quite easy to find up here, and combined with a wood that are good in tension the result is just as good or better than yew.. Theese bows were most probably a result of the vikings learning about this from the Saami bowyers.
Ivar Malde has done lots of good research on theese bows, and made several replicas.