Author Topic: Snakey hackberry  (Read 27758 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Snakey hackberry
« on: January 10, 2012, 04:19:38 pm »

I'm getting the limbs bending right now, and preparing the tips for tip flipping. I was going to using these little pieces of 2 x 4 I had put a curve on to clamp to and bend the tips with after steaming, but because the back is not flat on one limb, the 2 x 4 turns to the right on the back, so it would probably cause the tips to flip crooked. It's hard to explain. So I guess I am going to have to make some kind of tip flipping form to get em to flip and stay aligned... I really wanna sinew this bow. Has anybody tried sinew with hackberry?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:53:02 am by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Snakey hackberry I'm about to start...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 04:57:30 pm »
Hackberry is smokin fast as is. My fastest bows are unbacked hackberry flat bows like you have there. I seen a bow posted a while back with sinew on it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 05:57:18 pm »
My fastest bows are unbacked hackberry flat bows like you have there.

Me too. I don't see why everybody else seems to ignore it...

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 06:01:52 pm »
Looking real good so far. I cut some hackberry 2 weeks ago, all ready to give it a go again.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 06:04:57 pm »
Everybody can send it my way! I hold it in the same regard as hedge...................call me crazy. Thats one of the sweetest hackberry profiles ever. That stuff is always straight, good find. My buddy chuck gave me a 1/4 log from a 24" tree. The bugger is about 9 feet long and perfectly straight and clean, plus 3 years seasoned. Im seeing at least 3 bows, maybe 4 in it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 06:51:17 pm »
I cut a tree that wasn't even that big last summer, like 8" diameter, and got 8 perfect 80" long splits out of it... ...until most of em decided to deflex while they were drying... arg. I think ill keep em quartered for a month or so until they are good and reflexed, then quarter em. Only thing that sucks about that is hackberry seems to get real hard to split after it is real dry. Thank ya Hrothgar. Good luck hackin or your hackberry!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 06:55:08 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 07:06:10 pm »
Man, I love me some hackberry!  And this bow is one of the snakiest I have seen.  My experience with hackberry is that it has 1/2 inch rings, grows arrow straight, and is more than happy to cooperate to become a bow. 

Nice piece, knothead.  Can't wait to see it finished.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 07:42:48 pm »
That is a cool looking piece of wood!!

Though I've only built seven bows my Hackberry is my fastest. The other thing, for me at least, it is without doubt the quietest bows I have ever shot and I've shot some pretty high dollar customs. Maybe it's the fact that with hackberry the limbs are a tad thicker and the wood is softer so maybe better insulation qualities. I don't know but I'm telling you it makes no noise.
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 08:03:53 pm »
Ryan its from the super light physical weight of hackberry that makes it quiet and fast, and of course design some. Its harder for energy to travel through light weight material as opposed to heavier material. A wooden bell or a brass bell?

Toomany if your hackberry needs to bend, it will easily with dry heat and forms. Tempering the belly will bullet proof it of you choose to go that far.

Offline bcbull

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 10:45:38 pm »
i love that hackberry  first time iv ever seen a snakey hack stave iv expermied a lot with it and im findin heat treat it  makes it even better and sinew also improves  the speed a bit but i dont think sinew is necceary with hack berry iv got 3 staves ageD 5= YEARS BEGGIN TO BE BOWS   BROCK

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 11:50:26 pm »
Man, I love me some hackberry!  And this bow is one of the snakiest I have seen.  My experience with hackberry is that it has 1/2 inch rings, grows arrow straight, and is more than happy to cooperate to become a bow. 

Nice piece, knothead.  Can't wait to see it finished.

Hopefully it will get finished, I am making my tips flat and rectangular which I usually don't do, my tips on almost all the bows I make are rounded somewhat. I just figured it would be easier to steam bend the tips if they were flatter and wider. I do have to confess that this piece wasn't as snakey as it is now from the beginning, I just took some liberty and amplified the curves the stave already had in it. It really wasn't that curvy from the beginning. Some times ill take a flat stave and lay out a snake profile,... ...just wishin I had me a snakey osage or somethin..  :laugh:

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 12:08:35 am »
Though I've only built seven bows my Hackberry is my fastest.

Ha, thats 3 of us! Here's one that was snakey that I kinda did the same thing to that I did to this one (like a year and a half ago, I think). It was a small diameter stave, which is why I think it was just a bit snakey.

I got a couple 2 x 4 x 8's and I'm bout to make a tip flipping jig. I wanna make one that bends the tip to 90 Degree's (not like an angle, just that far, ya know,  :laugh:). I wanna make one that I can just shove the tips in and bend without using clamps, I plan on using metal rulers to hold down the belly and hopefully keep it from breaking or lifting somewhere... I'll post some pics tomorrow when I get inevitably bored...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 12:11:49 am by toomanyknots »

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 08:40:59 am »
Cool front profile man. I don't think you'll need the sinew with that one,hackberry is good as is,and it looks like your length/width is plenty for a selfbow. Just give that belly a long slow deep heat treat and shell rip an arrow. My 2nd fastest bow is a hackberry behind a yeller bow.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 08:57:34 am »
that's sweet ,don't see many snaky Hackberry,they are usually pole straight around here. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 10:33:03 pm »
That is one awsome hunk o hack ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...