Author Topic: Snakey hackberry  (Read 28010 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Snakey hackberry *Ran into a problem, crack all the way across the back...*
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2012, 05:05:42 pm »
K-hat, I'm praying it will survive to be shootable! (I hope!) Bill, it didn't fret or chrysal under the crack. I decided to just throw on a quick linen patch about 2" or so long across the crack just now, threw it on with tb3. I will wrap it afterwards with some linen thread soaked in tb in a little bit when it's dry. Hopefully I will have it all done and ready to shoot by tomorrow. I hope the little patch doesn't mess with the tiller. I have never done a patch before. I wanted to do sinew but I just didn't feel like making a little bit of sinew glue, and I haven't had alot of success with titebond and sinew.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44:05 pm »
Soak the linen thread with as much super glue as she will hold..It will be almost bulletproof that way.
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:47 am »
Soak the linen thread with as much super glue as she will hold..It will be almost bulletproof that way.

Will do. Already used titebond instead of super glue though. I used a small piece of linen fabric, and then wrapped linen thread over that. And then a matching linen thread wrap on the other side. I would of loved to do a snake skin right over it, but the closest place that I could get a snake skin charges 70 bucks a meter! That is just insane. I kinda wish I would of used a clear glue, but I don't think it will look that bad, and I will be happy if it shoots still. I'm bout ta do one more coat of glue and go to bed. Shoot it tomorrow morning maybe.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2012, 07:04:42 am »
You can try all of the above suggestions ,but I would save the snake skin until I had shot it a lot after the repair,to be honest I doubt it will hold. It is just in a really bad place,to much work at that point of the limb. :(:) :) Man that was looking sweet. :(
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2012, 09:03:40 am »
Im with Pappy. You can see on both limbs where they are working much too hard, almost hinged. Im guessing thats where the tension failure happened.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »
Im with Pappy. You can see on both limbs where they are working much too hard, almost hinged. Im guessing thats where the tension failure happened.

I think I know what your talking about, in the picture on the tiller near the right limb tip? It looks like a hinge to me there, but everywhere else to my eye looks good. Could you make a MSpaint mark where you think it is bending too much, if it wouldn't be too much trouble? I think that it actually is kinda deceptive, due to the way the limb twists a bit and is not perfectly flat towards the tip. But it might be a hinge, I did not ketch it while I was tillering though. The tick/crack happened early on in the very middle of the limb, when I had just got the bow braced, and I didn't ketch that either till after having it fully tillered and shooting it.  ;D So it might of gotten progressively worse. The bow is 66" tip to tip, the handle is around 8" or so, and the recurves are 3" or so maybe, and it does not pull over 45#. You guys really think this bow is over stressed for a 28" draw? I think my crappy picture might not be the best picture to go on, I will take a better quality one in a bit (maybe when my wife gets home) and see what you guys think...

You can try all of the above suggestions ,but I would save the snake skin until I had shot it a lot after the repair,to be honest I doubt it will hold. It is just in a really bad place,to much work at that point of the limb. :(:) :) Man that was looking sweet. :(
   Pappy

Eh, it's no big deal. I don't have alot of experience with recurves, so I am still having alot of fun and getting a little bit better hang of it. I did lose faith and abuse this bow a bit, but that was way after I heard the mystery tick. I actually thought it was the overlays coming unglued until I found the crack. I think the back on this hackberry was actually quite thin from me harvesting it right after the new growth started growing in the summer. So I might of sanded the ring real thin, I've did that before...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:10:57 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2012, 01:25:09 pm »
Recurves are cool for sure but I really never found them to be worth the risk,[ for selfbow] you need a excellent piece of wood to start with and they won't out shoot a straight limbed/or flipped tip bow buy much,if anything they may be a little smoother to draw so I haven fooled with them much. I would say with a 66 tip to tip which is around 64 or less n-n and 8 inches of non bending handle,  Hackberry and snaky you was pushing the limits for a 28 inch draw.JMO.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2012, 02:01:23 pm »
Recurves are cool for sure but I really never found them to be worth the risk,[ for selfbow] you need a excellent piece of wood to start with and they won't out shoot a straight limbed/or flipped tip bow buy much,if anything they may be a little smoother to draw so I haven fooled with them much. I would say with a 66 tip to tip which is around 64 or less n-n and 8 inches of non bending handle,  Hackberry and snaky you was pushing the limits for a 28 inch draw.JMO.  :) :)
   Pappy

Well I guess I gotta learn somehow,  :laugh:. By the way Pappy and Pearl, I appreciate all the criticism, even if it might seem that I am kinda stubborn. (cuz I am,  >:D). I've made butt joint glue on siyah kinda recurves on board bows before, but this is my first true contact recurve from a stave. I just put about 50 shots in it about 5 minutes ago out in the back yard after the linen patch. The only reason it did not break with the crack across the back before, I would guess, is because of the light weight, as I had previously wanted to sinew back it. I just weighted it, and it is pulling 34# @ 28". Here's a picture of the limb with the crack after patching it. It is not easy for me to get a good fulldraw photo by myself, somehow I managed to only get the top limb.

It does kinda look like it is pretty stiff off the fade now that I look at it better.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:10:22 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2012, 02:43:23 pm »
Heat treating hackberry is a great plan. Try that on your next attempt.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 05:07:51 pm »
Heat treating hackberry is a great plan. Try that on your next attempt.

I have before, but I honest hate the look of a toasted/discolored bow. I might try it on a hackberry longbow I'm workin on right now though, just cause you recommend it. Where did you think the limb was bending too much pearl?

Offline toomanyknots

Re: Snakey hackberry
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2012, 01:58:18 am »
Postin a  fulldraw pic cause I'm bored. This bow is about finished, I just need to get a handle on it and I will have some better quality pics...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 08:36:28 am »
Looking good,nice save.  ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline johnston

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2012, 11:08:18 am »
Toomany just want to thank you for the build-a-long. I learned a lot and the bow turned out
nice . Good save on that.

Lane

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 02:33:36 pm »
Looking good,nice save.  ;) :)
   Pappy

Unfortunately for this bow, I think you and Pearl were right in the first place. It is starting to get hingy in the limb that has the crack,and the tiller still doesn't too promising, as well as every other time I draw I hear the ominous tick, so I don't know what to do really. The only thing I can think to do is just say screw it and sinew the bow, and really that is the only thing that would make me happy, as the weight is already 34# @ 28", so if I fixed the flat spot in the upper (repaired) limb, it would probably end up being too light. I have another hackberry I am turning into a recurve right now, the stave is better quality, almost board bow quality, so hopefully I won't screw that one up...

Toomany just want to thank you for the build-a-long. I learned a lot and the bow turned out
nice . Good save on that.

Lane

Thank ya johnson. Best way to learn from me probably is to learn what not to do,  :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 02:35:07 pm »
Sinew wont fix it toomany. I say put it on your tree and pull it until it breaks. See what it will take and learn from that.