Author Topic: Snakey hackberry  (Read 28014 times)

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Snakey hackberry
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2012, 02:38:51 pm »
I TBB 4, Mr Baker talks about adding flax to 'cure' a hinge. You might look that up and read that.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2012, 02:40:15 pm »
Sinew wont fix it toomany. I say put it on your tree and pull it until it breaks. See what it will take and learn from that.

You must not have alot of experience with sinew. 
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2012, 02:40:54 pm »
Must be not.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2012, 02:43:42 pm »
Must be not.

Pearl, I believe you can bring the weight up as well as effect the tiller or protect the back from tension failure to a great degree on almost any bow that has a sound belly, please tell me why I can't, LOL

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2012, 02:46:02 pm »
Must be not.

LIAR ;D

What did you do with all that sinew then, knit a sinew sweater?   >:D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2012, 02:48:49 pm »
You cant protect a back from tension failure when failure has already occured. If your bows tiller is off as you say and you belive there to be a slight hinge, that generally means you have compression failure on the belly if you look hard enough. Hackberry is super soft and that belly cant make up what the back is lacking where its sheared across. This isnt meant to be smart or rude, try it and see what happens for yourself. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2012, 02:57:02 pm »
I'll agree with Pearlie, much as it causes me severe digestive distress.   >:D

I tried sinew backing an osage bow that had a crack across a limb.  I got great sinew adhesion, pulled over 2 inches of reflex into the bow, and it still hinged horribly over the crack.  Added another layer of sinew across the crack, still hinged, but now the tiller was whacked badly.  Eventually another layer of sinew was laid on over the hinge area and tapered out above and below the damaged area.  I continued to try tillering out the problems and adding sinew until I just ripped off the sinew with my draw knife and made a batch of sinew glue. 

In my experience sinew and hide glue will improve a good bow, salvage an ok bow, and waste your time and effort on a broke bow.

As for a sinew sweater, handwash in cool water and don't wear it until it's fully dry or it will stretch outa shape.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2012, 03:06:56 pm »
You cant protect a back from tension failure when failure has already occured.

?, that is ridiculous. To quote ed scott, sinew is stronger than steel in tensile strength. It is stronger than wood, and does a fantastic job of holding a bows back together. I don't know why I have to argue this point.  :laugh:

If your bows tiller is off as you say and you belive there to be a slight hinge, that generally means you have compression failure on the belly if you look hard enough.

My bows belly is fine. It's only a 34# bow, as I planned on sinewing it in the beginning...

Hackberry is super soft.

Hackberry is not soft. It is light, but not soft.  Compression wise, I have never seen a chrysal on a hackberry bow I've made, that includes a 73" nock to nock 90# @ 26" hackberry flatbow, with probably a 10" non-working handle.

This isnt meant to be smart or rude

Me neither, I always enjoy talkin to ya Pearl, we obviously just disagree on alot here, but that's just how the internet is. And I always appreciate your advice and opinion. I hope you don't ever take me as rude man.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2012, 03:09:49 pm »
I have no problems at all toomany.  Enjoy whatever you decide to try.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2012, 03:10:26 pm »
Looks like the next bow I make with a hinge gets shipped toomanyknots so he can prove me wrong.  I think he is going to be saddened and dismayed to see how many of my bows develop hinges!     >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2012, 03:12:20 pm »
I'll agree with Pearlie, much as it causes me severe digestive distress.   >:D

I tried sinew backing an osage bow that had a crack across a limb.  I got great sinew adhesion, pulled over 2 inches of reflex into the bow, and it still hinged horribly over the crack.  Added another layer of sinew across the crack, still hinged, but now the tiller was whacked badly.  Eventually another layer of sinew was laid on over the hinge area and tapered out above and below the damaged area.  I continued to try tillering out the problems and adding sinew until I just ripped off the sinew with my draw knife and made a batch of sinew glue. 

In my experience sinew and hide glue will improve a good bow, salvage an ok bow, and waste your time and effort on a broke bow.

As for a sinew sweater, handwash in cool water and don't wear it until it's fully dry or it will stretch outa shape.

Well you guys can just get "told ya so rights" and make fun of me if the stupid thing brakes. I already made the recurves to skinny where the string lays, had to get the limbs to unaturally twist so that the string would stay on, so after sinewing the thing I'm sure the limb il twist and the string il just pop off. LOL I hate this frakin bow.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2012, 03:17:16 pm »
I already have "told ya' so" rights on this bow from the first pickle ya got in toomany! Give them to somebody else for the seocnd time around buddy. :)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2012, 03:23:41 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2012, 03:24:52 pm »
Knothead!  You may end up with something yet!  Every bow that has made me so mad I could chew rebar and spit log chain has turned out great.  This one may be bow of the month material!!!    >:D >:D >:D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2012, 03:25:38 pm »
....or a one way ticket to the Straitjacket Hotel.