Author Topic: Coretex...arghh  (Read 2660 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Coretex...arghh
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:27:47 pm »
Almost got a nice point today.  Really thin spall and coretex over one whole side with some concavity.  Felt lucky to get a point, but there's an obnoxious coretex island on one side.  I've tried most everything.  Don't know how to get stuff like this off.  I run flakes right up to it and then it steps every time. :'(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

Re: Coretex...arghh
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 11:06:01 pm »

A punch? :P

Wayne

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 11:11:20 pm »
I know I have no business posting here, but what about grinding so that the steps and hinges smooth out? Then drive a new chip across that?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:25:16 pm »
Looks like you can lower the edge towards the stack and set up a platform to send a flake under the stack. Point would get narrower,but looks like you got some to work with. Just a suggestion, good luck.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 11:35:21 pm »
I've tried that a couple times already, but I'm sure you're right.  For some reason the flakes don't want to go under it very bad.  It is still a big point so I can make it smaller.  Looking at it I think I'll shorten it from the point end, bringing the stack closer to the edge.  Maybe I can knock it off.  Thanks.   George
St Paul, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 12:00:35 am »
I'm not a knapper.

I have done some wood and stone sculpture and my approach would be to cut a slot in the end grain of a log to hold the head secure.. then use a punch or chissel and seat it on the step and try to push it off like that.

Just a guess.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 12:09:12 am »
If you shorten from the base, might be able to work it like a flute and remove it from the base instead of the side. Been plagued with this problem on many of my hornstone spalls w/cortex

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bareshaft12

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 01:13:38 am »
just put some notches in,The deer will never know about cortex.hee hee!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 04:55:51 am »
PB, that's an interesting thought, I just might try that.

Tracy, there's still a little curve in the point at the base towards the other side.  It doesn't want to flute at all, at least not so far.  You're right though, if I shorten the base about an eighth and turn the edge that way it's worth a try.

I know bareshaft, but it'd bother me forever.   OCD stinks sometimes.  Woke up in the middle of the night thinking about working on it some more.  Good grief.  Think I'll watch Patrick's new videos, he makes it look so easy.  This afternoon I'll take another whack at it.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 11:50:08 am »
  Still looks way better than the reasl ones I pick up.
  I've move the edge up to wards the steps and the next row make you flakes bigger deeper this way your flakes go under and pass the steps. I've also found that when the ridge line up to where the ridge lines on the front part or the step. So that that  first flake when you come up to the step won't take the step off with one big flake.This sometimes works for me with good chert or osiden. Not even sure if that makes any sence.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 02:06:20 pm »
Just call it "Cortex Enhanced" and call it good.  Otherwise your only option is to grind and polish those islands.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 02:32:00 pm »
yup , what pat said
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 04:56:59 pm »
Didn't check the comments before I took a stab at removing it.  I was busy watching Patrick videos and getting motivated.  Should've checked...

I wished i'd have notched it and called it good. :'(

George
St Paul, TX

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »

Looks like mine when I think I am finally going to get a decent sized blade, I end up with two arrow heads. :( :'(  Only I usually don't get quite that far.  :P Sorry to see that, but it goes with the territory. ;)  It was a nice looking point.

Wayne

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 07:51:14 pm »
Well, I went back and knocked a couple spalls into gravel to take out my frustrations.  Finally got a point on about the third try.  110 grains.

Had one nice thin notch but had to open it  up after I stalled the other one early and had to widen it to get going at all.  At least I didn't knock the corner off. :D

George
St Paul, TX