Author Topic: Bamboo "pocket" flute  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Bamboo "pocket" flute
« on: January 15, 2012, 06:12:29 pm »
I was bored last night so I decided to take a break from archery and try something new... I have always wanted a very small instrument that I could bring backpacking on the trail... so I made this small primitive flute.. This is the first instrument that I've ever made and I think it turned out great! Only took about half and hour to make and another half hour to tune . It is only about 8" long and 5/8" in diameter, but produces a perfectly in tune pitch that is comparable to some of my high end hundred dollar NAF flutes... Not quite sure how I got it to sound so good, just luck i guess, plus I played flute for six years when I was younger and got quite good...  >:D The tube is simply a segment of bamboo that has four finger holes and a mouth hole that is twice is long as the finger holes and has an angled edge... It is played sideways like a modern flute.  I burnt out the holes with a Dremel to prevent splitting... Hope ya like it.

Jon

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Bamboo "pocket" flute
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 06:36:59 pm »
Pretty cool Infrite.  Great size huh?  good work, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 09:10:28 pm »
Awsome! I hunt alone a quite a bit, though I know nothing about flutes this seems perfect for after dark intertainment at a solitude elk camp. I taught myself to play the fiddle some what could probably get along o.k. with something like this for I aint packing along a fiddle thought about a harmonica but this is primitive way cool how do you make it and tune it. I wan't to no more please!!!! ;D
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 12:01:27 am »
Cool. I like it. Simple and elegant. How's it sound?
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 01:33:55 am »
Thanks guys...

Bill- the sound is surprisingly excellent. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. The tone is very clear with No breathy sound like you hear with a lot of bamboo flutes

Bows- I'll put up some more info on how I made it tomorrow when I he on my computer... Right now I'm on my IPhone... But I must agree that the situation you described is exactly what built it for...

Jon

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 01:49:59 am »
Way cool Ifrit can't wait. Heyyy! maybe I'll be like the pied-piper of Elk >:D or scare the be-jeebers out of every thing within a mile :'( either way I'll take it :laugh:. Thanks alot Ifrit Hugh.

Hugh Ridenour

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:13 am »
Way cool Ifrit can't wait. Heyyy! maybe I'll be like the pied-piper of Elk >:D or scare the be-jeebers out of every thing within a mile :'( either way I'll take it :laugh:. Thanks alot Ifrit Hugh.

Or you might call in a bigfoot/sasquatch in heat...   >:D
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 04:06:46 pm »
That is a cool flute, Ifrit.  Yes please, post some more pics.  Would like to see that angled mouth piece and other views.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 04:49:03 pm »
Okay guys here is some more pics for those of you who asked... The first is a picture of the mouth piece.. The hole is 3/8" long by 3/16" inch wide... The far edge of the hole, (the one the air hits) has a slight angle to it, to make a sharper edge for the air to hit... By playing with this angle the tone can be improved. I made the holes with a small dremel grinder... My origional intent was to sand out the holes with this, but at 20,000 rpms, the dremel burnt smoothly through the bamboo, making a clean hole that is 3/16 inch in diameter for the finger holes... These are placed 3/4 of an inch apart on mine and the lowest one is about 1.5" from the bottom of the flute. The next picture is from the end of the flute that you blow into showing the node left in. This creates the closed end of the flute. The following picture is the other end, showing the opening that the air escapes. The last two pictures are for scale... Hope this answers some of your questions.

Jon

I also have a number of flute "blanks" that I cut out this morning so if anyone is interested I could make you one and we can work on a trade.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »
Is the sound more like a piccolos or is it deeper?
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 04:55:38 pm »
The sound is closer to a piccolo but a little deeper... This is purely because of the tube size and could be made deeper with a slightly larger piece of boo.

Jon

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 06:24:18 pm »
Cool, a base piccalo :o
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 08:57:23 pm »
Ah! yi-yi! Lee hope they don't like the short hairless kind :oTHAT COULD BE ROUGH ???

Ifrit thanks pard you just made my day if I come up with a trade idea in the near future I'll take you up on that too for one to compare too. thanks again Hugh

Hugh Ridenour

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 09:19:38 pm »
Any chance of a sound byte of the flute? Looks cool nice work!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline david w.

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 01:01:15 am »
Love it.   Been looking for a project like this
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo