Author Topic: Mid winter mini-MIJAM  (Read 5272 times)

Offline Buckeye Guy

Mid winter mini-MIJAM
« on: January 16, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »
We had a blast at Old Timbers place !!
Several folks where there this weekend !
We built bows from Fri. - Sun almost non stop !
I hope some one took time for Pictures as I forgot to . :(
Thanks for the invite and the good food Marty !!

It was good to see you'll and meet Pearl Drums !
Pearl you need to come south once in awhile Cause Marty's is as far north as I go !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

blackhawk

Re: Mid winter mini-MIJAM
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:13:47 pm »
Sorry guy...I was tooooooooo busy to take any pics...but as soon as I get a finish on that osage ill post it n mention where she was built. Marty(old timber bows) has a killer set up in his shop. We had 6 guys in there going full steam ahead. Im sure we'll make this an annual event to cure some winter time blues. I know matt n marty took some pics.

I got up there 11 am on friday n we were tearing into wood by 11:30 and we didn't stop till 11:30 at night. Then we were up at 6 sat morn n working by 6:30 and only stopped to eat for 5 mins for lunch n dinner both(venison chilli from the crockpot),and went till 11 at night. Then a few hours Sunday morn before I had to leave.

It was a full on bowmaking fest marathon for sure. I felt like a crackhead..im def a junkie. :laugh:I worked on six different bows Saturday alone....you guys mustve thought I was crazy running around like a mad man with his head chopped off. :laugh:

Lots of swapping and gifting off materials n things. I said goodbye to my Fugly(sinewed HHB)bow :'(... ;)

Hey Marty...yup.....love at first site  :-*....lol :laugh:...and you were right...good thing we don't live close to each other. That wood be hazardous to our health.  :laugh:

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:30:16 pm »
That was the single best day of bow building I have ever had. It was a great time having four master opinions to listen to. I got to meet Guy in person and swap dust. Guy I will make my way down there when I have some dry staves to deliver to you buddy! Hopefully you pry a bow out of the yellow one you grabbed. I was DEAD tired when I got home at 11 pm and I still sat awake staring at the ceiling thinking about the dozen bows we all chipped away at. I know I felt better when Chris admitted that bows are the first and last thing on his mind each day...........Im not alone in this battle! Awesome time guys! Matt-O will post a few pics Im betting. Chris you said goodbye to your fugly bow and I said goodbye to my boo backed shorty! I know the guy that has that bow now will shoot it, right Matt?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 03:58:57 pm »
Yes indeed, you could have called that a Mini-MiJam.  And I propose that we make that a tradition!  Yep Drums, I will shoot that BBO and many thanks to you, sir.  It was a great time at Old Timber's place.  Many bows were worked on, good conversation and horse trading.  I like the trading most of all.  Everybody has something that someone else needs, it seems.  It's great to be able to provide good fortune to my buddies.  I also like the "good mojo" that I get from my pals' when using their stuff on my bows.  After I get my Honey-do obligation complete today, I am going to work on that older-than-dirt set of billets. 

I took a few pics. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 04:00:15 pm »
More Pics
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 11:21:15 pm »
  Why did you take pics of that old guy ,does your camera still work ?
Awesome weekend for sure !
Thanks again for including Me !
Hope we can do it again !!
Can't wait to see some of the Black Hawk style bows posted !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 11:46:27 pm »
Looks like a blast guys...How can I get invited to one of these...... >:D >:D
"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Old timber bows

• I live to build bows
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 12:59:42 am »
Had a great weekend with some great freinds and yes that was the 1 anual old timber bows fest we will be doing every year from here on out . Black Hawk thank you for fugley I will takr care of her and shoot a nice deer with her I had fun guys and cant wait to do it again and that heat treat white wood is the trick it took a 40 pound bow and turned into 52 pound lighting had a blast till we bend wood together again take care and God bless you in my eyes you guys are some best bow builders I have been around to build with.
Old timber bows

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 09:09:38 am »
Looks like a good time! I got the same ?? as Hickory Bill, and when is the next one? Where in MI did you you guys get together?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 09:29:52 am »
We met up at Martys shop in Perry Dave. "Old Timber Bows" is the name of his business. Marty was a stand up host and very giving. I wouldnt change a thing!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 10:00:46 am »
Looks like a blast guys...How can I get invited to one of these...... >:D >:D

Haha :laugh:.....you WERE invited ;)...n you n I n maybe jon for a lil bit will be going mad this weekend buddy ;)

Call me crazy...but after being exhausted from the weekend and driving 5 hours(thinking of bows all the way) to get home,once I got home I wanted to work on one. BUT I didn't,it was family first first.God help me  O:)

Marty I hope you do kill something with Fugly...n hope she shoots well for you as she did for me.

Pearl..you get a finish going on your osage yet?...I m waiting to shoot mine some more when this weather clears a lil before I tru oil her up.

Matt your a ring chasing and roughing out machine brother...it was fun watching you whip some osage butt. ;)

Guy I wanna see you make a blackhawk style bow..lol :laugh:

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 10:09:41 am »
That had to be fun,love them get together's. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline MWirwicki

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 10:14:43 am »
I like that, Marty.   The "Old Timber Bow Fest"  Kinda has a ring to it!

Incidently Drums, Yesterday, I chased that set of "older-than-dirt" billets to a ring.  She'll be narrow but should do fine.  I chased another set of oldies (65 year) that I had lying around.  I'm gonna chase another set or two then glue/splice them all up.  I'll keep you posted.

Bill & Dave:  Knowing Marty, He's probably already sent you an invite.

Buckeye:  I'd like to place an order for 4 of them chairs.  I have osage to trade!  See you at Marshall, if not before.

Blackhawk:  Aw Shucks, you're too kind...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2012, 10:21:04 am »
Chrisco Kid - I got the canebrakes on my bow last night. I got the grip ready to slide on as well. Tonite I will give her the first half dip of finish.

Matt - how much billet did you go through to get to a solid ring? Those checks looked like they went too far south to ever go away.

Guy - I want two of those cool chairs to! Those are things are too comfy to ignore!

Offline Old timber bows

• I live to build bows
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 05:02:36 pm »
Bill and Dave you guys are wellcome to the Old Timber fest next year.
Dave we are in perry mi we have bow class on tue nights come vist us give me a call 517-404,0495 come we have a good time making bows talk to you soon.
Old timber bows