Author Topic: Grain orientation on hickory backed massaranduba  (Read 2328 times)

Offline Stefan

Grain orientation on hickory backed massaranduba
« on: January 18, 2012, 11:42:29 am »
Hi archers,

Today I bought some massaranduba (also known as bulletwood/beefwood). I am going to saw the beams into useable pieces myself. Then I am going to back it with a strip of hickory.

I have made a drawing in paint,... the red lines resemble a cut

Prefferable I would choose for situation 1, because I have less left over pieces and more useable bow wood.

Situation 2 has better grain orientation (if you ask me) but then I have more left over pieces and less bow wood...

I once read that people that use lemonwood (degame), don't pay attention to the growth rings, they are not really visible because it's tropical wood and it grows all year round. Does this also apply to massaranduba??? The growth rings on the pieces of massaranduba are also very hard to spot. Would you go for situation 1 or 2???

I hope I am making sence, english is not my native language..

Thanks already,

Stefan
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:51:33 pm by Stefan »
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
Re: Grain orientation on hickory backed massaranduba
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 06:39:16 pm »
I would try it both ways. Cut one as in situation 1, then split it as in Situation 2. you get three bows and two have the ideal grain orientation. I have never worked any massaranduba, so i really don't know how either would work but it seems if you want the growth rings to run as in 2 that this would be the best way to limit any waste. Just my two cents.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 08:11:49 pm »
I agree with Mark. Take the top cut of #1 then split the rest.

I made a paduk bow one time, the grain was like #1. A hole section popped out of the belly while I was tillering.

Bevan
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline okie64

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 10:08:42 am »
I would choose situation one to get more wood to use. I have built a couple of hickory-backed beefwood bows and I didnt pay any attention to the way the grain was running on the beefwood. Like you say the rings are very hard to see on the tropical woods and for the most part I dont think it matters which way the grain runs with them as long as it is fairly straight and no knots.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 02:01:57 pm »
Thanks all!!

I might try both ways, If I cut like Mark proposed I will not waist a lot of wood...

I will keep you updated!

Greetings

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo