Author Topic: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress  (Read 445080 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Re: 2012 PA Bow Trade - Works In Progress
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2012, 10:36:12 pm »
Clint, I'm impressed that you bent it there without darkening the wood at all. :o  Did you steam it??  Nice work!

I went out to the shop this afternoon after spraying the new osage for bugs.  Took a look at a couple staves.  I started with the crooked one I've been trying to give to JW, but he won't take it. ::) 

It didn't speak to me so I spotted one of my few remaining seasoned staves with a big wind check so I finished the belly split.  It had too many wind checks so I knocked off another belly split.  This one looks pretty good, though crooked.

This split so well that if it weren't for a wind check at one end I could have used the new back as is.  It's a wide stave at 2 and a half inches and I toyed with band sawing it in half to get 2 staves.  But, I just don't trust a few little checks not to be so deep they'd ruin one or both staves so I'm not gonna be greedy.  Not a particularly long stave, the bow will be around 60" long.   One end is sharply recurved already so it'll be a recurve with wider limbs than I normally build.  I was an hour late to watch the super bowl playing with wood.  If the game weren't on I'd have it already laid out and draw knife'd to shape.  Of course, I primarily care about the commercials. 8)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2012, 11:04:14 pm »
I started with the crooked one I've been trying to give to JW, but he won't take it. ::) 

Send it to me George, I will drive up and leave it on his doorstep. >:D >:D
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #152 on: February 05, 2012, 11:15:57 pm »
George, I took it slow and steady with the heat gun.  It looks like you will be doing a lot of the same  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #153 on: February 05, 2012, 11:42:02 pm »
Wow, that's impressive Clint.  I'll be doing some bending for sure...but slow and steady doesn't really describe me much when it comes to bending.... :-[

George
St Paul, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2012, 12:55:44 pm »
Looking good everyone...nice to see some other yeller wood out there being posted

Here's the 15 year old yeller stave I grabbed friday eve and chased,laid and cut out,and floor tillered it out all in one eve  >:D

Here it is before I started to whittle away...mind you it was 81" long to begin with here

And here's where I ended up at... a nice natural gull winged 68" long total floor tillered osage stave. Ill prob slightly reflex the tips to give her the 5 curve look.  ;)

Since the stave was outside in a shed im gonna let her sit inside for a week or two before I seriously bend it to let the mc drop to a workable level.  8)

Offline coaster500

« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2012, 01:46:40 pm »
Some interesting looking staves!!

Clint that was a ton of bend and all in one spot!! Great job!

George picked the only easy one  :o ....U got some work there young man!!

That gull wing should make a great profile :)

Good stuff here....

Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2012, 02:04:44 pm »
I picked out a nice HHB stave I got from Greg B at my first Tenn. Classic 5 or 6 years ago so it should be ready to work.  ;)  I have it cut to 64", 1 3/4" at the fades and out 6" before a straight taper to 1/2" tips. I'm just now getting the sides smoothed out, most of the excess belly wood removed(to about 3/4" thick) and will start reducing the belly soon. I'm shooting for about 50#-55# which shouldn't be a problem. I may even flip the tips slightly but that is way later.
 I recently finished the sister to this stave but cut it to 66"t/t. 

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:50:35 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2012, 03:09:16 pm »
Looking good pat..id take a HHB bow from ya...but geez man...your messier than me :laugh:...I also see you are a man of the shinto rasp as well....love that thing. You can see mine on my bench as well in my pics. Ive converted a few guys into getting a shinto. But Lee slikkers converted me last year. That thing rips any wood. 8)

Offline wildcat hunter

« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2012, 05:13:42 pm »
BOY - did I do a good one, I sent my bow out today, wrote the pounds, who its built for etc. But I forgot to put who built it!! Soooooooooooooo when your bow arrives about Wednesday, now you know who built it. I hope you enjoy it, I loved shooting it. OH, hope you like horses too! ::)

Offline wildcat hunter

« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2012, 05:18:30 pm »
  OH my gorsh, I was so excited to send it - I forgot to take pictures! Sorry guys. :-\

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2012, 05:57:18 pm »
Less than a week to build your trade bow! Making me look slow. It takes me more than a week just to put a finish on it.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2012, 06:05:19 pm »
wow, now thats impressive ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2012, 06:11:32 pm »
Well, my heat bend held.  I took the clamps off and it looks good to me.  It has a bit of reflex now.  I decided to clean up and organize my shop today instead of working on the bow.  I feel a lot better about the condition of my workshop after seeing your pictures Pat.   ;)  I am constantly sweeping my shop.  I can't stand a messy floor.  And Pat, that HHB will make a fine bow.  It's good stuff.

A pic from each end.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2012, 06:11:33 pm »
I started with the crooked one I've been trying to give to JW, but he won't take it. ::) 

Send it to me George, I will drive up and leave it on his doorstep. >:D >:D

Dumb and dumber.

Or is it Sick and Sicker?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2012, 06:37:32 pm »
Very nice projects everyone I hope to get going on mine this afternoon!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)