Author Topic: Still a bow or brisket smoke?  (Read 3794 times)

Offline GaryR

Still a bow or brisket smoke?
« on: February 01, 2012, 06:34:18 pm »
[i
100_2471 by garyrapp55, on Flickrmg][/img]
[im
100_2462 by garyrapp55, on Flickrg][/img]
Shaping my 2nd bow, and 1st Hickory, I noticed I banged up the back. I may be able to work to the side of this as it is still pretty wide. It is currently 70" and this questionable spot is 8" from the end. The spot is almost 1/4" wide across the broken grain.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Still a bow or brisket smoke?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:36:50 pm »
If thats your back, your in trouble.

Edit: That sounded rude, not my intention. My apologies. All those grooves you have in there ruined that back. Your nick is irrelavent now. I would chase a clean ring down if possible. Or back it with rawhide and forget about it. Rawhide is so easy a caveman did it.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:51:25 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 08:09:24 pm »
Those "grooves" are what lay under the the bark, which is what I was told is the back of the bow. I didn't put those in it.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:12:40 pm »
Can you take it down a ring and get rid of the damaged stuff? I know chasing a ring on hickory is not fun (easy) but it could save your bow.
Another option is to sand it all smooth and put something like rawhide over it.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »
If that is whats under the bark then you need to keep going to where your nick is, thats the first ring.  Its just early growth and cambium in the pics.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 10:08:52 pm »
In the pic it looks like you just nicked the cambium??? If so could you just remove the cambium?  I don't know what the pros think,but I've violated rings on hickory and haven't broken it!!  GL,RON

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:09:38 pm »
You'll be fine. Probably going to work out anyways. Being that close to the tip I wouldn't worry in it winded up in the middle of a hickory limb. Those grooves a normal and make a cool looking back. No cambium layer there, gone with the bark.

Offline sonny

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:21:06 pm »
look at the difference in color y'all.
pretty sure that he has only nicked the cambium and can easily remove part or all of it (cambium, that is)
depending on whether he likes the look of some of it remaining.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 10:30:22 pm »
Can you post a picture of the end of your stave?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline GaryR

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 10:52:42 pm »
Give me just a minute outlaw and I'll get it posted.

Offline GaryR

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 11:01:22 pm »
What I'm seeing and hopfully you can from these bad pictures is that the spongy, pore containing part of the ring is on the outside. Whereas the thicker part is underneath. Also, this tree was cut in April, if that helps at all.
[i
100_2477 by garyrapp55, on Flickrmg][/img]
[im
100_2475 by garyrapp55, on Flickrg][/img]
[im
100_2472 by garyrapp55, on Flickrg][/img]

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 11:02:25 pm »
There is a chance you can scrape or sand that out if you have good thick rings. 

Or sand it out and rawhide back it, never looking back or to the side, but swiftly proceeding into the future, bow in hand.   ;D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DRon knife

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 12:49:40 am »
Is that chip/nick lifting or separated...It looks loose in the pic? That wont happen to solid hickory!!
In pic 2477...(far left on the back)Is that one of the wormy veins that's under cambium and above ring #1...if so you have more to go till you hit ring #1 Bro. Ron
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 01:12:37 am by DRon knife »

Offline okie64

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 12:51:35 am »
Thats a pretty typical looking back for wood cut at that time of year. Thats not cambium, maybe just a little early wood. Looks like you sealed the back with shellac or something and it has darkened up over time. I would sand the nick out and feather it into the rest of the ring thats on top and it will be fine.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 01:09:17 am »
man you got a 2 inch by 70 inch hickory stave cut it off and keep the nick in the last 2 or 3 inches and it wont be a problem . limb tips take the least strain and you can get away with imperfections there. or just make a 2 inch wide 62 inch long  bow , you got plenty of wood .

ive got the itch now , i wanna see some hickory bent ! >:D