Author Topic: Wanting to get started knapping  (Read 2483 times)

Offline perry f.

Wanting to get started knapping
« on: February 04, 2012, 07:48:32 pm »
I'm wanting to get started knapping. I was curious what all I need tool wise and where to get it? I'd like to get a nice thick piece of leather , I'm guessing to use as padding and protection. What doe you all use, Buffalo? Any help is appreciated.

Offline Tower

Re: Wanting to get started knapping
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:27:53 pm »
There are several knapping sites on the I-net that sells tools. Just search for it. I hate to give a sites name since Primative archer has paid advertisers. I build my tools from materials from a builder supply. I use 2 pieces of cow leather for protection. The best advice I can give it go to a Knap-in. There are worlds of tools & free advice there. Where are you at there may be a knapper in the area that will help ya.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:09:00 pm »
I have a large piece of elephant hide I got at a knap-In. Tower you can post the sites, just don't make it a direct link or just have someone PM you.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 01:31:44 pm »
Obsidian Designs(?) has a complete beginners kit in a back pack. She was at my knap-in last summer.  It is easy enough to make your own stuff wheter you go abo(riginal) or modern. welcome to the club.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 11:17:42 am »
Start with basic tools you can make yourself. Bopper, Ishi, abrader and hand flaker. Look up flint knapping tools and you'll get the idea. Use bottle bottoms or plate glass until you can collect or buy some rock.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 12:03:24 pm »
Perry, you have already done the hard part, finding this site. You now have all the info you need right here. You can purchase tools, but the truth is you can make most everything you need to get started and will learn more if you do. Use the search and look for tools, boppers, etc and there are a lot of threads showing how to make the various tools. That is, if you want to go the copper. If you want to stay primative (ABO) there is a ton of info here on that also. And some of the best knappers in the world are are right here to assist you and ask questions.

Offline DLH

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 09:25:48 pm »
Where are you located? I use a piece of leather that I got in a big assortment pack of leather at hobby lobby for a pad seems to work fine for me might have to look to find a big enough piece. Copper pipe with a cap soldered or jb welded and lead pored into the pipe works well as a bopper. I would watch as many videos as I could jackcrafty on this site does lots of videos I think he is under allergichobbit on youtube. Just read and watch as much as you can online but would be even better if you could go to a knap in or sit down with someone from the site here that is what I did and they will take care of you. Like they said glass bottles are cheap to learn on putting a large nail in the bottle and shaking will knock the bottom out I seen that on a video and it works well for me. Some people use porcelain I never have but could something worth looking into. I can't knap worth a crap but have learnt how to make a few tools searching on the internet and seeing others tools. Hope this helps

Daniel

Offline bronco611

• God ,country ,family, flintknapping
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 12:13:54 am »
I got the leather pad I use by cutting the top off of an old pair of chippawa leather snake boots. there are actually 2 layers per boot. look at flea markets, yard sales etc for old boots with a thick leather upper you can pick them up for next to nothing, take it home and cut it off with a razor knife and you have a good piece of leather to use. make a copper bopper using a 2 inch copper pipe cap and whittle down a piece of wood to fit it then use a punch and hammer to secure it to the wood by punching it on all 4 sides of the flange. make yourself an ishi stick and use copper grounding wire for the copper tips but first lock one end down and chuck the other in a drill and spin it till it breaks free ( use caution) do not touch the copper it will be hot. go to paleoplanet under flintknapping beginners and find the thread about notching and it will show you what you need to make a horse shoe notching tool if you chose to do so. When you use a large nail to break the bottom out of a bottle, place the head of the nail in first not the tip this will work better and give a clean break most of the time.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 12:18:03 am by bronco611 »
FLINTKNAPPING IS EASY...I WAS ALWAYS TOLD I COULD BREAK AN ANVIL WITH A POWDER PUFF.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 12:14:15 am »
Perry, Got your tool made yet?  >:D Ground wire & a broom stick.  No more than an inch and a quarter sticking out.  Cheap wine bottle bottoms are ideal, they are flat and fairly thick.  Just be careful knapping if you just finished the bottle.  :o dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline flungonin

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 03:13:12 am »
I might have missed it but did anyone mention a pair of leather gloves. I just introduced my cousins son to this. We made  tools after stopping at the L----, or H--- D----. 1 ft of 3/16 copper, 1 7/8 dowel 36 inch. Cut the dowel to 18 or 20 inch, drill a hole smaller than the copper 3 inch deep in each end. Cut 2 pieces of your copper about 4 1/2 inches long and insert into each end of the stick.File one copper end like a flat head screw driver and the other end pointed. Use the left over dowel to make 2 smaller sticks but only use one end for the copper. Then file the copper rounded or pointy. We used a rock we found  and a piece of broken concrete for a bopper. I don't think this cost more than $8 for materials at the store. If I had a camera I would post pictures.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 03:24:55 am »
on your pressure flaker, youll want to use some kind of sleeve to keep the dowel from splitting when you apply lots of pressure.  I used a copper reducer fitting.  I bought 3/4in dowels and then bought a 3/4 to 1/2 reducer and carved part of the end to fit the 1/2in end.  Here is my poor attempt at a drawing on paint.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 02:29:06 am »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!