Author Topic: Texas knap-in?  (Read 4820 times)

Offline Tower

Texas knap-in?
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:54:45 pm »
I know there are not many knappers here. With that being said, has anyone heard about the Pedernales Knap-in in Fredricksburg TX this year.  As much stone as we have here TX needs more knap-ns. I tried to make Stillwell & Odessa but work had me tied up. I heard a rumore there was one in Bandara last year. Any help. & I would be grateful.  Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Jimbob

Re: Texas knap-in?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:13:53 am »
Oh how I miss Texas!!! 
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:38:11 am »
Bandera, hmm. I love that town and the creek is full of white limestone and chert. Not to mention the beautiful monster cypress trees and the cold Shiner bocks ::). Little remeniscing here. Only one i've ever been to was the horseshoe bend knappers guild in Weatherford. Not sure if that one still goes on or not.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 12:43:13 pm »
I get updates from our knapping group from time to time.  Yes, there is a Fredricksburg knapp-in this year as well as many others.  I'll post what I know when I get an update. ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 04:44:58 pm »
Thanks for the help. Yeah post-em when you get -em.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline chief deer

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 12:22:39 am »
April 12th = 15th is the TX knap in Mike Smyth

Offline Tower

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 12:41:03 am »
Thanks for the heads up. Hate to miss that one. Wish it was twice a year still.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 03:22:26 am »
Great Thread Y'all!

I'm definitely looking for any Texas Knapp Ins to attend.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline neuse

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 12:49:00 pm »
I wish someone in  or around Waco would do one, more central. Fredricksburg is a long drive.

Offline chief deer

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 01:35:38 pm »
It is about ten hours for me, but I always enjoy it. I have missed about the last three years or so. Bill was still alive last time I went. Mike Smyth

Offline Gus

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 02:51:08 pm »
So are the Fredericksburg knappin and the Pedernales Knap-In at Fort Martin Scott the same event?
And is this knappin being held April 12th - 15th, 2012?
Looked on line but only found old stuff so far.

Fredericksburg is a great town.
Though I've not been out that way since 1987.

Thank You.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:30:23 pm »
Gus they are the same event. Its a great location, you can sit & break rock & the wemen folk can go shopping.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 03:39:24 pm »
Man, that's a bit of a drive for sure.  Not sure the little lady will want to go that far for shopping.  Ricky, maybe we could car-pool?  That's assuming work hasn't gone crazy.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Gus

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 04:41:52 pm »
I will do my best to make this one...
It would be great to camp on-site and break rock with Great Folks...

-gus

Conroe, TX

Offline elremolino

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 10:30:33 pm »
Niblett's Bluff in LA is the weekend after the Fredericksburg Knap-in (April). The LLano Knap-in will be October 12-14 but many of us show up a day early. I haven't picked dates for the Stillwell event yet, but it will most likely be October 25th-28th. Of course Stillwell's is only convenient for me, but I always appreciate everybody that makes the LONG drive!!!!

I haven't heard if they are going to do the Bandera thing again. There is a rumor that Ray may have the Horseshoe Bend Knap-in this year over in Weatherford, but I don't think anything is confirmed yet. I believe that is usually Memorial Weekend.

Kinley