Author Topic: Stitching quivers......  (Read 1674 times)

TurtleCreek

Stitching quivers......
« on: February 13, 2012, 04:04:03 pm »
  Anyone ever tried using waxed hemp cord or plain hemp cord to stitch a quiver together?

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Stitching quivers......
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:13:48 pm »
I've used hemp to wrap leather blunts with.  Then a heavy coat of Duco.  I'd think it should work.

show us some pics when you're done,  ;) dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:14:47 pm »
have not
but i certainly would wax it well if i did(as i would any material used for stitching a quiver).
wild women don't get the blues

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 04:16:27 pm »
I have sewed leather quivers and bags together with waxed Irish shoemakers string. Not sure what it is made from? Its very strong.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:22:24 pm »
Not a quiver, but I have used hemp cord to stitch a couple of knife sheaths.  It's some tough stuff.  Wax it good and go to town.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline bolsjedyr

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:38:57 pm »
I have sewed leather quivers and bags together with waxed Irish shoemakers string. Not sure what it is made from? Its very strong.
I belive that is flax  :)
If two men are to compete, it should be in archery. As they face the same direction, trying to accomplish the same goal, it is the most civilized of sports." Confucius

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 05:36:26 pm »
I use heavy artificial sinew(70#) for most of my leather stitching these days. The hemp cord I buy at Walmart is too thick and uneven for the needles I use and IMO to get a good even stitching line.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC