Author Topic: buffalo jaw  (Read 5062 times)

gutpile

buffalo jaw
« on: February 16, 2012, 12:07:12 pm »
Hey guys just got a buffalo jaw...huge and heavy...was thinking of a war club or tomahawk...any ideas as to what to do with it?...way to big for a knife handle....gut

Offline Jimbob

Re: buffalo jaw
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 12:09:38 pm »
War Club!! 8)
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Lobo69ss

• Born 200 years too late
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 07:45:15 pm »
The old ones used to use those for hammers, war clubs, whatever needed hitting was fair game for a hittin` type of tool...   with the curved portion of the jaw joint sharpened, it seems it might`ve made a decent gut hook when used in "Battle-mode"...  Mine has a leather wrap around the thinner end (over the teeth as well) for hand protection & a thong for going `round the wrist so as not to lose it while on horseback or when running across the battlefield... living history re-enacting can be fun if`n ya do it right,
The man who sees the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 01:09:45 am »
only bad thing is the hook part or the jaw is cut off..the very tip you refer to gut hook..think I am gonna dremel it down to an edge and make the club end look knapped and dress it up...really feels good in the hand...heck of a weapon....gut

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 05:40:54 pm »

Use it for home protection, ;) and "Take a bite out of crime!" ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D :P
                                     Wayne

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 06:09:24 pm »
I for one would really like to see a photo of this beast.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline cutfinger

• In God we trust
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:21:31 pm »
moose jaw,brain tan ,knife river head (axe) sinew and hide glue.