Author Topic: red elm  (Read 3099 times)

Offline bcbull

red elm
« on: February 16, 2012, 11:33:32 pm »
hey guys i got a qustion for ya  i got a red elm stave the other day it s about 3 in wide 3 deep has 1/4 -3/8 white sap on it  iv never had a red elm with the sap  i need to know is the sap any good like on yew any benifits  or is it prone to chuckin crackin like osage  or if it will add tension stregth like yew sap does haha i kind a wanna leave it on but dunno which way to go id say this stave is more of a med sized pole so pole bow id guess thanks brock

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: red elm
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 12:04:11 am »
Its all good, hard wood. Treat it like any white wood.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 12:05:18 am »
Red elm sapwood is outstanding.  The few red elm bows I made all had the sapwood still on em.  Josh

Offline bcbull

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 12:25:17 am »
sounds good guys ill leave it on then and give er a go thanks brock :laugh:

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 01:30:20 am »
Use the wood under the bark for your bow.
  Brock, this is the first and only red elm bow I've built. It is 60"t/t and pulled around 50#@28". I was very impressed with red elm as a bow wood. The bxck of this bow was right under the bark. I added the giraffe print tissue paper to kill the glow of the mighty white wood.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bcbull

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 01:37:59 am »
i rember that bow pat didnt know it was red elm  does it take to heat bening good whats better dry or steam im thinkin to curve the tipps  shoot for a 55-60 bow heat temper the belly like marc says  this is gonna be the forst time i ever did a elm stave  brock 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 02:23:09 am »
All dry heat. Bends with oil and a completely dry heat treating of the belly. I may have added terpentine and pitch as I scorched the belly like Marc does but I don't remember.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bcbull

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 02:50:36 am »
sounds good pat  im anxious to start on it lol well im callin it a nite  brock

Offline bcbull

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 01:44:55 pm »
hey pat  will ya post some demnsion s on what ya had on that bow  im tryin to figure a startin point  here thanks brock

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 01:03:49 am »
Brock, I don't remember the exact dinensions. I do know it is 60"t/t and I'm guessing 1 1/2" to
1 5/8" wide out most of the limb and tapering the last 6" to 8" just before the curves.
I'm sure I posted the dinemsions in the original post but I'd have to look for it.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 07:56:38 am »
Nice looking bow pat.as soon as mine is dry enough I can't wait to get one made, good? Bc
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...