Author Topic: Debitage pressure point (new pics)  (Read 4827 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Debitage pressure point (new pics)
« on: February 18, 2012, 01:38:08 am »
I finally sucked it up and made a point completely with pressure flaking.  I used a piece of obsidian debitage that Gus left on my tarp.  It went pretty well until the notching began.  I knocked off both corners and had a heck of a time because the point was still a little too thick.  Consequently it's not the best looking point.  However, all in all I'm happy to have gotten a point at all.  Most of the obsidian I've worked I have broken.  Got out of it without a cut too. ;D

Tomorrow I'll try doing it with a piece of flint.

George
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:49:55 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

Re: Debitage pressure point
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:33:31 am »
Still looks good George, I too worked some obsidian today and broke most of what I started.  My hands however did not fare as well as yours did, they look like I went digging in an obsidian debitage pile bare handed and then clenched my fists with a handfull of it..... ;D
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 09:30:57 am »
Good looking point from my angle George. I bet it could find it's way through a ribcage

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:17:33 am »
I agree with everyone, that's a nice one! Love the flake scars .
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:36:23 am »
If I were really gonna make obsidian hunting points I'd have to learn how to sharpen them better.  It was a lot sharper before I "sharpened" it.  I didn't have any luck taking small flakes when I tried to even up the edge.  Seemed like all I was doing was breaking off the sharp edge.  Made the point look better but if I'd been primitive I would've left it ragged and sharper.

I was pleasantly surprised at how nicely the obsidian flakes ran across the point, though  on each side one of the edges worked way better than the other.  I kept expecting it to break, but it must be easier to control the force with pressure than with indirect percussion?  I might work a legitimate obsidian spall this morning (when I should be working on my trade bow).  Then I'll try a flint point. :)

Thanks guys.
George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 12:32:19 pm »
Well done!
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 03:49:29 pm »
I went out and took an obsidian spall (actually I grabbed 2) out of my obsidian bucket and tried more pressure flaking this morning.  Started like this:

Unfortunately I got too cute applying pressure at the fat end of the spall and snapped off a half inch there.    I figured my goose was cooked then, but I did get a little point out of it.  I should've weighed it early as I could have left it thicker for more weight, but never thought about it.  The finished point is only 75 gr, a little light for my hunting tastes.  I'm pleased with it just the same.  Might sell this one at the craft store.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

Re: Debitage pressure point (new pics)
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 04:11:41 pm »
Heck ya!!! That works. Did you use pressure flaking? It looks like you did and you did great. 

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 05:31:12 pm »
Yes John, that was pressure.  I've decided this is pressure weekend...LOL.  I hope to go back out in a bit and try it again with some flint.  I'm pleased with how things have gone so far.  I can see why people like obsidian now.  With indirect percussion the shards come off with nasty velocity and stab your holding hand, legs, feet...anything uncovered.  With pressure, it is a joy, I even got to the point where I got the feeling I was peeling off flakes now and then.  I did have some problems setting up platforms.  I over abraided sometimes, took out the convexity and made it hard to get flakes to start.  Lots more to learn.  Onward to try again.

Thanks for your help John.  I appreciate your support (actually everybody has been so supportive),  I can't think of another hobby where people you've never met are so anxious to see you succeed at something. :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Tower

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 05:34:52 pm »
Nothing shabby about that point. Nice job.Looks great.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 09:43:52 pm »
Well your welcome G.  I just want to help others in the same way I was helped as a beginner here on PA. I think the spirit of this site is a about learning and helping other learn.  I think this hobby is different because you cant buy your way in you have to earn it the old fashion way.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 10:25:40 pm »
That's sure true.  I worked on flint this afternoon until I started to get a blister on my pressure flaker hand.  I could not get long thinning flakes with pressure.  It was insanely frustrating ruining a perfectly good point because I couldn't thin it.  After my hand gave out on the second attempt I took the point with a big hump in the middle and quickly thinned it with indirect percussion and made a 100gr point.  I actually got pretty tired, either it takes a lot more force with flint than obsidian or I'm doing it wrong (or I'm just old and wimpy ::)).  Hopefully my hand will be up to trying some more tomorrow.

Thanks again,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 02:37:13 am »
Nice points.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 02:53:45 am »
George, I like that first point, love the flake scars on it.
And the second point is Fine as Heck! :)

I bet they'll both get the job done!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 02:54:14 am »
G I learned to thin real good from sawfiler but it wore my hands out doing it all the time (I was probably doing it more than sawfiler was) so I started following a Tower type approach.  He thins the preform almost to completion then shapes and pressure flakes to finish.  I find that my hands are not a wore out with this technique.  Both achieve the same end.