Author Topic: Beaver bow  (Read 4755 times)

Offline sleek

Beaver bow
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:01:29 am »
I made this bow not too long ago and really enjoy the heck out of it. I was Fishing one day and saw this sapling floating down the river. I had to make a bow of it so I used my rod to catch it and reel it in. The bark was all gone and the wood had chew marks all around it. I only knew it was a thick ringed white wood that was soaked in water.

I let it dry a bit, cut it to basic shape, dried it some more ( not telling how long for because I dont wanna get fussed at ;) ) heated up the belly good and hot for 2 hours, then started tillering after it cooled. I wanted this to be a target bow so I was going for 30 lbs at 24 inches. The tiller was very tricky for me because the two limbs are offset at the handle, making one limb further from me that the other, straining them differently. This was a pain in the neck.

After many hours of tillering and heat correcting I got this. It shoots fast despite 3 inches of set ( started with .5 inches of reflex ). I am currious for tiller comments. Speed on the chrono is 140 fps with a 400-425 grain arrow. Any comments on performance are welcome please!

http://s1092.photobucket.com/albums/i411/rocketernally/Beaver%20Bow/

How do I load images rather than just post links?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Beaver bow
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:17:53 am »
You got my attention with the title. That is a neet story, that tends to make the best bows(a good story behind them) can't help with photos and photobucket I ca.t use them any longer on my phone (they changed somthing )but someone will help ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 02:19:17 am »
Thanks, hopefully I can get some pics up soon other than the link I posted.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 02:52:30 am »
Hover your cursor over the picture in your photobucket album and click on the 'image code' option. that will copy the code to your clipboard. then all you need to do in your PA post is hit 'ctrl-v' and it will insert everything you need for the picture to show up in your post. Hope that makes sense.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 03:08:59 am »

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 03:12:46 am »
Hey thanks! That worked.
I would like to add that one limb, the bottom in the top picture and the top in the bottom picture ( was trying to figure out which limb should go up for the best tiller profile ) has a natural kink grown into it near the fade shown best in the image of it laying unbraced against the door in the upper limb in that pic. That is not from a hinge, I would like to make that clear, that it was not a tillering defect, but grew that way.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 10:24:54 am »
What a cool lookin' bow... Makin' a bow out of a piece of beaver chewed mystery wood that you reeled in with your fishin' pole is just plain awesome in my opinion, good job.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:33:45 am »
how long is it nock to nock,and what does your front profile look like? its hard to judge your set and how well you tillered it due to the mystery factor.? did ya thank mrs beaver ;)  :laugh:

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 11:24:52 am »
Nice bow.  I was a bit surprised at the title of your thread though.  I've been working on an article for PA magazine with the same title.  The sapling I used was also a gift from a Beaver.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 12:24:49 pm »
This bow sets you well in the "bowyer" catagory for taking an unknown wood that has survived unknown(except tor beaver tooth marks)circumstances and made a well tillered bow. This is a great learning situation not only for you but to anyone that reads your post and views this bow. Well done!  8)
 I prefer the last full draw pic id I get a vote.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 12:31:57 pm »
Love the beaver bow !...Step up from my beaver chewed arrow shafts I make. Now that would be a pair-up,beaver bow,beaver arrow. Great story and bow ! !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Will H

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 12:46:18 pm »
Very cool!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 02:48:10 pm »
I think that is a awesome story and a very nice bow......I agree with Pat you would get my vote for not knowing what the wood was and the situation behind it with the beavers.  You made a very good looking bow.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 04:32:40 pm »
Well gosh, thanks guys. I was worried about the back breaking on me with it being so highly ceowned and marked up. But the thick ( only 4 rings on this tree ) growth rings gave me comfort in the underlying fibers taking the stresses. I wish I knew the wood type.
Marc, I look foward with great interest to your article. When do you think it will publish?

I would like to add that this tiller was not an easy one to chase ( for me anyways ) I will have front profile images up today when my wife comes home from work. The camera has to many buttons for me to know how it works :) I love the primitive mind set.

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 10:12:55 pm »
50 inches ntn and I thank mrs beaver very much :) I will keep a rod ready for catching beaver snacks as they float by when I fish from now on :) what do yall think with that profile?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:16:02 pm by sleek »