Author Topic: Holmgard/Molegabet what is the diference.  (Read 12252 times)

Offline petew

• Peteward.com
Holmgard/Molegabet what is the diference.
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:07:07 am »
I am fastinated with the Holmgard style, and there seems to be an other very similar design called the Molegabet I think? What is the diference  in these designs?What I thought I was making, as a Holmgard could be a Molegabet, but I keep getting conflicting resources when I try to figure out what is what.
 Pete
share your knowledge and ideas

Offline 15DLongbow

• I pretend to know what I'm doing.
Re: Holmgard/Molegabet what is the diference.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:03:18 am »
from what i can tell, in a Holmegaard bow the entire length of each limb bends, where as the Mollegabet style bow has the inner half of each limb bending with he outer half working as a lever. Im not too sure why these bows are so closely related though.

Edit: If it worked right, the top pic is a Mollegabet Bow, the Bottom is the best i could find for a bow modeled after the Holmegaard bow.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:09:47 am by 15DLongbow »

Offline randman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:08:54 am »
The only thing they have in common is they were both found in Danish bogs, but there's 4 or 6 thousand years difference between them. Do a search on this forum and you will find all the heated debates there have been on this subject. I find it puzzling that even in TBB4 Tim Baker refers to "holmgaard" bows that are clearly "Mollegabets".
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:27:13 am »
Essentially they are the same design but one is taken to it's logical conclusion!

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline petew

• Peteward.com
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 03:02:06 pm »
Clear as mud now. I am completly confused, so I think I will just call what I made a Holmgard and be happy with it.
 Pete
share your knowledge and ideas

Offline Stoker

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 03:48:59 pm »
Post a pic Pete. But at least bring it to Calgary next month. We'll critique there ;D
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

UserNameTaken

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 05:11:38 pm »
I've been wondering about this myself. I think Mike's probably right. Or rather, what I think he meant was that both designs have static outer limbs. And, what makes them superior to other designs is less mass on the outer limbs & less stack because of the sharper string angle. The mollegabet would be the next evolution of the Holmegard, because the outer limbs being thicker as opposed to wider reduces limb mass even more.

Is that what you were getting at, Mike?

Offline egstonvonbrick

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:17:20 pm »
Chaps,

Many thanks for this info... and links... much appreciated...

I have now made a fair few longbows and had decided to try an 'ancient' design...

I had roughed something out and am approaching the floor tiller stage and when i build up the courage to post my efforts will at least now call it the right name!* ;)

Cheers
Ev
*Mollegabet
Nah, that'll be alright...