Author Topic: new to the art  (Read 6600 times)

Offline onidog

new to the art
« on: February 22, 2012, 05:44:37 pm »

Greetings!,

I'm looking around and feeling a little lost in here and I'm sure that's understandable. I'm new to the art of building bows and I think Ive been singed up to the forums for sometime now, but haven' t really read them or bothered to get with the program of learning anything.
        But now I'm ready and just don't know where to start, and any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll read anything and everything I need to get started.
       I don't have much tools but I'm willing to learn, and living in northern California with plenty of trees I'm sure i can make something.
          In regards,
-Cody

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: new to the art
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 09:44:18 pm »
Welcome Cody. Jump right in and ask questions and someone or everyone will offer you info. If you don't ask we can't help you.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:18:56 pm »
The shear volume of subjects in here can get you well and truly lost.  Lots of people start out on building board bows since they are inexpensive, fairly easy to make, and if you break one you don't have so much invested. 

As for tools, if you want to go as simple as possible, get a pocket knife and a 4 way Nicholson rasp.  The rasp will have both coarse and fine rasping capacity, and the pocket knife can be used like a scraper to get even the slightest tool marks scraped out. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:28:27 pm »
Welcome to PA
There is plenty of info here ,if you cant find it just ask !
We love to share !!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline onidog

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:52:16 pm »
Alright so Ive researched but unsure of how to start. So is there a good tutorial on how to start my first board bow? and what tools for the job? and just everything i need to get things rolling. any and all information would be greatly appreciated. And thanks again for the warm introductions  ;D  is there a better place to be posting this so more people see these posts and I get more feedback?
-Cody

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 12:04:22 am »
Cody, look at the top of the How To page. George Tsoukalas has his website up there. He will show you all you need to know about building board bows plus lots of other stuff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline onidog

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2012, 06:36:24 pm »
So one thing that isn't quite making sense is tillering I believe its called. It's the device where you put the bow in it to see flaws and to set it to your specified weight and pull but I don't understand exactly for one how to make one and two what you need to do to achieve the desired weight and pull. whats the standard pull length? thanks again
-Cody

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 09:48:28 pm »
Tillering is the act or removing wood from the belly of the bow so that both limbs bend evenly and together at the draw weight and draw length you want to achieve.
 A tiller is the stick with notches along it length that you use to check tiller of the bow. A tiller tree is similar to the tiller but you use a rope and pulley to pull the bow string so you can view the bow from a distance(6' or so). The tiller tree is the safest for you and the bow.