Author Topic: stump shooting question  (Read 9385 times)

Offline Weylin

stump shooting question
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:57:34 pm »
I live in the city, (Portland) and I'm itching to get out in the woods and do some stump shooting more often. I'm sure it varies from place to place but I'm wondering what, if any, hassles you all have come up against while stump shooting. Where is it legal, where is it not? do you need a hunting license to be out carrying a bow? I searched around the internet and got a lot of conflicting answers about it. Some people said that it's a state felony to discharge a weapon (including a bow) within city limits in Oregon unless you are at a designated range. Others said they asked their local police department and they said "no problem". Outside of the city there were some differing opinions about legality as well (both public and private land). Some said that you should take pains to make it clear that you were not hunting and make sure that you only had blunt tips. others said that the best option was to tell law enforcement that you ARE hunting otherwise they would hassle you for target practicing on public lands. Obviously there is a balance between technical legality and the reality of enforcement I just want to have a somewhat clear idea of what my expectations should be.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: stump shooting question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:25:14 am »
Every state is different. I called my state (Nebraska) Game & Parks and asked them directly. For me, as long as I have not killed anything, I am not hunting. But I can get in trouble if I damage trees. I can only shoot yucca and cacti. I carry a milk jug target and throw then shoot it.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:12:50 am »
 Here in WV I've always stumped everyyear for ALONG TIME CLOSE TO 30 YEARS. I do a lot of SCOUTING,,CUTTING SHOOTS OR JUST HIKEING. I've never ran in to a CO. one time. I live close to PL that I use to go to a couple times a year mosty in the spring while gobbler scouting. Here if it's in the city limits you can only use a bow. I have had a place that is and have hunted there 20 plus years.
   I say if you run into someone and you don't have a broad head only a judio. Where's the hunting come in. Any CO or COP saw you and you only had judios if they used their comsence. YOU'D BE FINE I'M SURE. Or move to WV and never give it a thought.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Weylin

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:18:44 pm »
Nice that it is so hassle free in WV. I have heard people say that they get in trouble if they tell the authority that they are stump shooting but if they have a license on them and they tell them that they are hunting something in season like squirrels or gophers then they are fine. Once again, I'm sure that varies from area to area. but blunts and judos are used for hunting small game so I don't think that would protect you from an overzealous authority.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 09:18:00 am »
Man that is sad,no problem in Tennessee,shoot all you want,don't know if their is
any laws about it but I have done it along with a bunch of friends for years and never heard of anyone having any trouble with the law,especially when they see what we shoot,they just shake their heads and say have fun. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2012, 12:18:50 pm »
  I'm with you PAPPY can't see why anyone would care.
  Here in WV you (I) hunt with broad heads even small game.
  As long as your not hunting you don't need a lic. at least here in WV.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 01:06:53 pm »
Heck, I sure am glad I live in Kansas. If I lived under that much restriction I guess I would be just game enough to do it anyways and if someone questioned me about it try and convert them to our side with kindness. If that was unsucessful then I would just leave them to their ignorance and go find another area to shoot in,  cuz their no hope for them. I guess sometimes I forget how good I've got it. Danny 
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 05:05:39 pm »
Heck, I sure am glad I live in Kansas. If I lived under that much restriction I guess I would be just game enough to do it anyways and if someone questioned me about it try and convert them to our side with kindness. If that was unsucessful then I would just leave them to their ignorance and go find another area to shoot in,  cuz their no hope for them. I guess sometimes I forget how good I've got it. Danny

I couldn't agree more!  People often ask me "what's in Kansas?".  I always tell them FREEDOM!   Josh

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 09:47:30 pm »
  I agree freedom here also most people think WV and think hicks. Guess thats why were left alone.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 12:08:56 am »
I had a hiker whip out her cell phone and frantically start dialing when she came around a corner in the Black Hills and saw me doing my "great hunter has slain the raging ponderosa pinecone and saved his clan from death" dance. 

When she saw that I wasn't killing animals she said, "I don't think you are supposed to be shooting in here, this is the National Forest."  I advised her that there is absolutely no prohibition against target shooting in the Black Hills National Forest, not even for guns.  The prohibition is against shooting into live trees for target practice.  I showed her how my arrows were "judo tips" and how they worked for target shooting.  I had her look up at the hillside where I was shooting and explained how since there were no hiking trails it was certainly safe even if I miss my pinecone, the side of the mountain will probably stop the arrow.  I explained how I was knowledgable about how far my arrow would travel and that I needed to scan the far horizon constantly to be aware of anyone ahead of me.  She countered that she had walked up on me, so I explained how she came up behind me from around a corner, bow's don't shoot backwards. 

She couldn't take her eyes off the osage, though.  So I gave her a little lesson in dendrology (the study of trees) including the latin name, Maclura pomifera, and how it was the wood of choice for many tribes.  I detailed the design of the bend thru the handle bow with sinew backing and how this was paleolithic fiberglass.  She warmed up to the idea suddenly and explained how she had been "adopted" into a shamanic tribal circle.  I asked if it was a recognized Native American Tribe.  She said no, they were creating their own tribal belief system. 

I screamed and ran. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline barefootbowhunter

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 11:45:54 am »
i always carry broadheads when i have my bow, that said when im rovin im also coyote hunting which is year round, if you cant hunt the area your shooting in then find another place. and carry broadheads meth labs and grow ops are a problem in westcoast public land, and probably more likely then a bear or couger attack, dont be paranoid just prepared......enjoy the flight of the arrow enjoy the fresh rainforest air and do not worry about such minor political bull when roving.... rovin time is freedom time

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 01:50:13 pm »
The nice thing about bows in my area is pretty much all year round you can have some sort of license that allows to to hunt with them. I think there is a stretch between mid-december and march where you can't hunt, but its too cold during that time to enjoy it anyway. Also the three days of moose season you can't have anything in the woods unless you won the draw for a moose license. 

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 07:52:59 pm »
I live in the woods of Southern Indiana, I walk out my door and shoot to my hearts content.  The laws changed in the 80s and we have that city limits deal too.  bows are quiet, so are sling shots; I used them both when I lived in town.  I shoot mostly blunts, or small bandsaw blades w/ a casing to slow them down on impact.  If I was worried about it, I'd call the DNR, maybe even call, get your answer and call back in a few days to see if you get the same anwer again.  ;)  good  luck, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Weylin

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 09:22:04 pm »
Thanks for all your input, fellas. I'll get around to calling the DNR and see what they say. It honestly seems like the safest plan is to have a hunting license and pretend that I'm hunting gophers or something. Kinda lame that you have to do that but I'm sure there are lots of idiots with weapons that they are trying to keep in check. I guess I should be grateful for that. Now to find a place that i can shoot that's not an hour drive away. The price you pay for living in the city...

Offline Postman

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 09:51:42 pm »
If anybody gets sketchy, I would work the angle of limited range of your equipment=safety with the blunts, plus not having sights / gadgets means you have to practice this way. Who knows, you might convert someone!

Here in VA, the Nat'l Park is the only place i don't take a bow. nat'l forest is fine 365. I see a lot of hikers, but most don't freak cause I have my boys and their gear usually.

Halverson: you need help! Good bit! ;D
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA