Author Topic: preserving furbearer pelts  (Read 6572 times)

youngbowyer

preserving furbearer pelts
« on: February 28, 2012, 08:48:01 pm »
I started running a small trapline and I was able to trap a mink last week. I got it case skinned and on a drying board. it has dried but it smells quite bad. Any idea of a simple method to get the smell out? Thanks,Tom.

Offline mcginnis6010

Re: preserving furbearer pelts
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 08:58:07 pm »
Have you salted it? Normally I salt all my pelts to draw the moisture out and cure the hide. The salt also helps prevent bacteria from rotting the hide. So it may very well be the bacteria that is causing the bad smell. I've never trapped a mink before don't think we have them here in Virginia.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline mcginnis6010

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2012, 09:24:52 pm »
That's the way I do it but o don't run big lines and my pelts come out nice.
Once a soldier always a soldier. Hoooah!

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 10:00:57 pm »
 Youngbowyer,I run a trapline an here is how all my fur is handled, Skin furs a soon after death as you can, warm hides come off better than cold, flesh then put on proper stretcher or board an let dry, I like to dry my stuff in about 50 to 60 degrees with a fan moving air not necessary to blow directly on fur. After dry store in a cool dry area. This is how fur is put up for the fur market an to be sold. If you are going to use for yourself you now need to get it tanned or tan yourself. Dry furs don't keep over the summers, some kind of bug eats hair off at roots an all you have left is a kinda rawhide. I don't know if you just have dry hide smell which isn't to loud or if you hit the glands on the mink an have that strong gland smell or your hides are to close to heat and are starting to actually rot :( :( The only time that i add anything differnt is in warm fall I put a little borax powder in the ears of fox an coyotes to help dry these out. Do not use salt, it will asborb moisture from the air an stay moist. Hope this helps, if ya have any questions feel free to get a hold of me. Later Bob ps.check out pics of my beavers in the How to Build alongs.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 10:08:50 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:32:05 am »
Mink have a very stinky gland back by the anus that is easy to cut if your not aware of it and get it on you and on the hide. '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Grunt

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41:31 pm »
20 Mule Team Borax will dry the hide up pretty good. I 've got 20 year old egg tanned squirrel hides in my fly tieing boxes. Moth balls or parts of a cut up flea collar keep the bugs out. 

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 09:27:43 pm »
Is it the stink of a weasel that you smell or the stink of rot?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:11:32 pm »
   When a kid through my 20 's I traped big lines. RATS ,COONS ,FOXS I'd always catch a few minks rat traping in conabears. Around here we really did'nt have a big population of minks.  Never salt furs buyers and and dealers,actions like their hides just dryed. Minks stink anyway worse than foxs but if it's warm I'd but a fan on green hides.
    If it's been a likely rot and will even turn greenesh if so. Same color as rotted meat. Try pulling the hair out. If it's rotting the hair will come out. Then it's wasted throw it away.  Some times if I caught something and it was to warm to streach. I'd skin rap up flesh in fur out roll it up put it in bread bags. Untill colder weather then streach.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 10:20:31 am »
20 Mule Team Borax will dry the hide up pretty good. I 've got 20 year old egg tanned squirrel hides in my fly tieing boxes. Moth balls or parts of a cut up flea collar keep the bugs out.

What/how is egg tanning?  Can anyone explain?  Would like to try it...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI