Author Topic: snowshoes?  (Read 4197 times)

Offline Baldmoose

snowshoes?
« on: March 04, 2012, 04:15:12 am »
Hello everyone,

I have been thinking real hard about making a pair of snowshoes and i think its about time to go ahead with it.   Does anyone have any experience with this?  im looking for instructions on how to build the jig. As well as anyones experiences with the project.    Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Baldmoose
"The Pain is Worth The Glory"

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: snowshoes?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:24:42 pm »
I built a pair back in 1987 when I was a teen.  I didn't use any pattern per say, but just looked @ pics for an idea how to do the rawhide.  I actually used grapevine for the frames and rawhide for the lacing and bike inertube for the bindings.  Kinda hillbilly, but they worked pretty good.  I was a little lighter back then, not sure how the grapevine would hold up to my beer belly now.  :o ;)

You know how we like pics on here, let's see some, maybe a build along.  ;) good luck , dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 12:30:40 pm »
Do a search here on PA. Someone a few years ago posted a pair they had made.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 03:01:55 pm »
So i suppose i will do a build along.....    got a couple pictures here of the birch tree i just aquired and it being split........ damn its sraight.......   using birch because i dont have a good source of ash around here. Did some research and it should be able to deal with the moisture and still have the strength...
Baldmoose

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 03:04:22 pm »
Please bare with me as i have quite the load of projects to be completed.... this build along may take a little while....
Baldmoose

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:05:03 pm »
Cool Baldmoose, can't wait to see the progress!!

8)dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 10:00:59 pm »
I have a pair I need to repair - the frame split a bit on one toe. I found a site when googling snowshoe repair and I think they hade kits or instructions available. If I find anything else I will be sure to let you know.  Good Luck.
Ben

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 10:41:02 pm »
A few months ago I found a really good book at the library called "Building snowshoes and snowshoe furniture" by Gil Gilpatrick.  It covers everything from different designs, to construction (including jigs) and lacing.  It will tell you pretty much all you need to know.  If you're really interested but can't find it at your library, it's available online.

I remember finding some good videos on snowshoe making on Youtube as well.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 11:04:27 pm »
A few months ago I found a really good book at the library called "Building snowshoes and snowshoe furniture" by Gil Gilpatrick.  It covers everything from different designs, to construction (including jigs) and lacing.  It will tell you pretty much all you need to know.  If you're really interested but can't find it at your library, it's available online.

I remember finding some good videos on snowshoe making on Youtube as well.

I just picked up the same book a couple weeks after leaving through it, figured with all the jig, steaming info and patterns it was well worth the coin.  I hope my boys and I can make a set each this summer.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline nativenoobowyer86

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 05:05:50 am »
Awesome mike! ill try too! just after you break the ice :D
"If it feels like ur life is about to fall apart, back it with some rawhide an hope it holds together"

Offline IsaacW

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 01:18:04 pm »
Another GREAT read on snowshoes... especially cool old skool ones, is Making the Attikamek Snowshoe by Henri Valliancourt.  http://www.birchbarkcanoe.net/books.htm
We shall never achieve harmony with land, any more than we shall achieve absolute justice or liberty for people. In these higher aspirations, the important thing is not to achieve but to strive.
Aldo Leopold

Offline Baldmoose

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:31:28 pm »
Awesome mike! ill try too! just after you break the ice :D

Break? im not liking the word...... not after tyler batten told me how many times he has failed.....
Baldmoose